Recently I had a head cold that I, thankfully, got over quickly. I was craving pumpkin bread, so I used my apple cinnamon coconut flour muffin recipe as a template recipe. This is just as good as the wheat-based version, in my opinion! The consistency is creamy despite being made from coconut flour, which is full of fiber and can be a bit drying in recipes. Customize this pumpkin bread with whatever nuts or spices you like. You could most likely substitute the stevia for up to 4 tbsp liquid sweetener, like honey or maple syrup, which is what I used in the apple muffins. Coconut flour is so fibrous that it's pretty forgiving as to how much liquid you add.
Grain-Free Coco-Nutty Pumpkin Bread
6 tbsp virgin coconut oil, melted but not hot (plus more, for greasing)
1 cup pure pumpkin puree
6 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 packets stevia, or other sweetener of choice
1/2 cup sifted coconut flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl and using a spoon or fork, blend the coconut oil with the pumpkin. Blend in each egg one at a time, along with the vanilla extract. The coconut oil may curdle, but that's ok. Finally, dissolve the stevia, or other sweetener of choice, into the wet ingredients.
3. Fold in the coconut flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. It may clump a bit, but just use a wire whisk to whip the mixture about 10 times, or until the batter smooths out.
4. Fold in the nuts.
5. Lightly grease a loaf pan (4.5"x8.5" or 1.5 qt) with coconut oil. Line across with wide side with a piece of parchment so the bread will release from the pan easily. You can also put another piece the other direction depending on if your pan tends to stick to food, but I have not found it to be necessary with my glass pan. Spoon in the batter and smooth over with the back of the spoon.
6. Bake for 60 minutes or until a pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Servings per recipe: 12
- Per serving:
- Calories: 157.1
- Fat: 13.4 g
- Saturated fat: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 93 mg
- Sodium: 181.8 mg
- Carbohydrate: 5.9 g
- Fiber: 3.4 g
- Sugars: 1 g
- Protein: 4.6 g