Blueberry Pancakes with Strawberries

Yesterday I went to Savannah, GA, with a couple of my friends to go to some of the
fabulous grocery stores they have there. I picked up some beautiful Florida berries. This morning, when I woke up I thought that there was no better way to eat those lovely berries than to put them in pancakes. Right before I went for my usual Betty Crocker pancake recipe, I thought I would challenge myself to making a batch of vegan pancakes. I've had a lot of trepidation about making recipes such as pancakes and quick breads vegan. I was afraid there wouldn't be any rise or golden-brown deliciousness. I was totally wrong. These pancake were as fluffy and as golden as any other non-vegan pancakes, and most importantly, they tasted really good too! The blueberries burst inside the pancakes, so it was like they had their own syrup already.

Blueberry Pancakes with Strawberries

For the pancakes:
1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp organic cane sugar
1 1/2 cups light plain soy milk
2 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
50 large blueberries (about 1/2 cup)
non-stick cooking spray

1. Add the first four ingredients to a medium bowl and stir with a folk to "sift."
2. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the next three ingredients.
3. Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add some cooking spray and pour in quarter cup-fulls of batter. Drop 5 blueberries onto the batter. Cook the pancakes until they are puffy and bubbles form on the edges. Flip and cook on the other side until they are golden-brown.
4. Serve warm, topped with some strawberries. Makes about 10 pancakes.

For the strawberries:

10 large strawberries
2 tsp organic cane sugar

1. Slice the strawberries and place in a small bowl with the sugar before making the batter. Set aside.

Makes 10 pancakes:
Per pancake, with 1/10 of the strawberries:
Calories: 109
Fat: 3.3 g
Saturated fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 136 mg
Carbohydrates: 17.5 g
Fiber 0.8 g
Sugar: 4.5 g
Protein: 2.6 g


I noticed that while making the pancakes, some blueberry juices stuck to the bottom of the pan, however it didn't cause any problems with the pancakes. Between batches I made sure to spray cooking spray in between, and I used a non-stick skillet, so that could have helped with keeping any blueberry remains from marring the rest of the pancakes

Labels: , , , , ,