Last night I went out and bought the ingredients to make my first tofu scramble, which was inspired by one of my newest favorite blogs, Yeah, that "Vegan" Shit. I decided to do a variation on their breakfast burrito filled with a tofu, vegetables, soysage (that's sausage made out of soy). I also added some pinto beans to the scramble that were hanging out in the fridge, to give the whole thing lots of protein.
To be honest, if I hadn't known there were tofu in this, I would have seriously thought it was eggs. The tofu was just as fluffy as scrambled eggs. I had never used Gimme Lean brand soysage, but it was really good. It captured the flavor of sausage, but honestly the texture reminded me of mashed beans, but not in a bad way. It took a while to break it up in the pan, though. I added Tex-Mex spices and lots of veggies to this, too, to make it well-rounded. Then, wrapped it all up in a whole-wheat tortilla. The best thing about scrambled tofu is, unlike scrambled eggs, the tofu is reheatable, so I have a few more days of a filling breakfast. This was very filling and energizing.
Tofu Scramble Burritos
1/2 tsp canola oil
1/8 tsp turmeric
1/4 finely diced onion
1/4 cup finely diced bell peppers, any color
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup seeded, diced tomato
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 cup drained, rinsed organic pinto beans
1/4 of a tube of Gimme Lean, sausage style
1/2 lb extra-firm tofu
salt and pepper, to taste (about 1/4 tsp of each or so)
Garnish: scallion and cilantro (optional)
2-3 Whole wheat tortillas
1. Heat a medium pan over medium heat. Add the oil and allow it to heat, about 30 seconds.
2. Add the turmeric to the oil, stir to combine, then immediately add the onions. Cook the onions until they are partially translucent, then add the peppers, garlic and tomato. Cook until the onions are translucent and the tomato moisture has evaporated.
3. Add the salt and pepper, chili powder, and cumin and stir to combine.
4. Add the beans and sausage to the vegetables. Break the sausage into little chunks with your spoon. Cook this mixture, stirring, until the moisture from the beans has evaporated and sausage and vegetables have started to caramelize, about 5 minutes.
5. Using your fingers, crumble the tofu into the pan. Stir to combine, and let cook about 5 minutes, or until the tofu has heated through and has started to caramelize.
6. Fold in some scallion and cilantro for garnish, taste the scramble for salt and pepper, and then roll the mixture into tortilla.
Servings: 2-3 burritos
For 1/2 of the scramble, in a tortilla
Fat: 11.1 g
Saturated fat: 0.8 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 636 mg
Carbohydrates: 30.4 g
Fiber: 4.8 g
Sugar: 3.4 g
Protein: 17.5 g
Labels: beans, breakfast, brunch, tofu, vegan