Oatmeal Raisin Chocolate Chunk Cookies

I did an online search the other day for "egg-free cookies" because I wanted to make my first batch of vegan cookies. The butter in cookies is easy to replace with margarine to make cookies vegan, it's the eggs that are the trouble! I found a nice recipes on Recipezaar for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies with raisins. The recipe used the reaction of baking soda and hot water to add extra leavening. As much as I love chocolate, making the leavening agent was by far the pinnacle event of this noble experiment. I was incredibly entertained by it's fizzing up...probably far more than the average person, considering I'm a biologist by profession and get my kicks from effervescing phenomena in the natural world. But I digress...

While the original recipe calls for chocolate chips, I couldn't find vegan chocolate chips in my grocery store. I did, however, find vegan chocolate, which I basically hacked into bits. I do suggest you try this method because you get a heterogeneous mixture of chocolate pieces...some large ones that get really gooey, and some small shards that melt into small ribbons and make each cookies look beautiful. Don't make the chunks too big, however, because, unfortunately, these cookies fall a little bit upon their removal from the oven, and large chunks will reduce the structural stability of the cookies.

I also diverted from the original by using golden raisins, because I prefer their tang over the dull, dark ones.

Oh, and I didn't have a full 2 cups of oats, like the original asked for, but I wasn't going to go to the store to buy oatmeal for a measly 1/2 cup. I just continued with the recipe as if there wasn't a problem. They tasted fine without that last 1/2 cup, although it could have added a little density to each cookie. Perhaps you'll have to be the judge of that one.

Oatmeal Raisin Chocolate Chunk Cookies

1 cup vegan margarine
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup unbleached organic cane sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup boiling water
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 1/2 cups vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Beat the margarine, sugars and vanilla with an electric hand mixer until light and fluffy.
3. Add flour and salt to the margarine mixture, mix until most of the flour is incorporated; continue combining with a rubber spatula.
4. Dissolve baking soda in boiling water, stir to combine, and add to mixture. Stir in the oats, raisins and chocolate chips chunks.
5. Using two teaspoons, work to scoop the dough and shape each dough ball into a nice rounded shape. Drop the dough onto ungreased cookie sheet (or line with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat). Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Allow them to sit on the pan once they are removed from the oven for 10 minutes before removing them.
6. Makes 3 dozen. Serve with soy, almond, hemp or rice milk (or any other non-dairy milk I've neglected to mention), or a cup of coffee or tea for dipping!

Per cookie:
Calories: 137
Fat: 7.5 g
Saturated fat: 4.5 g
Cholesterol: 13 mg
Carbohydrates: 17.3 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 9.7 g
Protein: 1.6 g

Labels: , , , , ,