Stir-Fried Tofu and Vegetable Teriyaki

This past Christmas I received several vegan cookbooks. One of them was called Quick-Fix Vegetarian by Robin Robertson. This cookbook was particularly special to me because my dad spent a lot of time searching through the store to find the perfect book for me. He chose this because I am a busy grad student and need plenty of recipes that can be prepared quickly. I also need those recipes to be healthy.

Tonight I chose to make Stir-Fried Tofu and Vegetable Teriyaki. It only took me 30 minutes to make this, including a side dish of rice. With this dish, you get the benefit of a dark green vegetable along with the vitamin C of the red pepper and the vitamin A of the carrot. In the side bar of the recipe, it said that you could use bottled teriyaki instead of what's called for in the recipe, but honestly I don't know why you would because the sauce was so amazing! It's worth the effort to have a sweet-and-sour sesame sauce without all the funky ingredients in a bottled sauce. The only things I did differently for this recipe is I cut out the oil from sauteing. I used my trusty cooking spray for the tofu sauteing and vegetable sauteing steps, instead of a tbsp of oil for each. Also, I chose to cut the tofu into cubes, and not slices, just so it would be easier to toss. Finally, I ended up cooking the tofu over medium-high heat because it wasn't browning quickly enough, and I was hungry! I had this with brown rice and it came together as a satisfying meal.

Stir-Fried Tofu and Vegetable Teriyaki

2 tbsp canola oil (I used non-stick cooking spray instead)
1 lb extra-firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices (cubes, perhaps?)
3 scallions, minced
2 cups broccoli florets
1 cup thinly sliced carrots (I julienned these)
1/2 cup fresh or frozen red bell pepper strips
1 garlic clove, minced (I used 2)
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup tamari
2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tbsp light brown sugar
salt and pepper, to taste

4 servings of cooked brown rice
scallions for garnish, optional

1. Heat 1 tbsp of oil (or cooking spray) in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the tofu and cook, turning one, until golden brown, 8-10 min. I bumped the heat up to medium high as soon as I added to tofu so as not to scorch the oil, just to get it to cook in the 10-min time frame. Remove the tofu from the skillet and set aside on a plate.
2. Heat the remaining 1 tbsp of oil (or cooking spray) in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the scallions, broccoli, carrots, and bell pepper strips, and stir-fry until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, add the tofu back to the skillet and set aside while to prepare the sauce.
3. In a small bowl, combine the garlic, orange juice, tamari, sesame oil, lemon juice, brown sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Blend well. Reheat the skillet over medium-high heat. Pour the sauce over the tofu and vegetables and cook, stirring gently, until the tofu and vegetables are hot and well coated with the sauce, about 5 minutes.

Servings per recipe: 4
Per serving, without rice:
Calories: 206
Fat: 11.9 g
Saturated fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: o mg
Sodium: 1055 mg
Carbohydrates: 15.6 g
Fiber: 3.7 g
Sugar: 8.3 g
Protein: 13.2 g

Labels: , , , , ,