Southwestern Red Quinoa and Tofu

My room mate let me borrow her camera so that I could hammer out a recipe for this blog, and I am so thankful! I'm really back to be in the game posting here. I did order a camera yesterday. It's a light pink Canon SD1100 IS. I researched it a lot and found very positive reviews for the product, so I hope there will be some lovely photos and more recipes posted here soon!

I have not started the exercises for P90X because I don't have it yet, but I wanted to start eating a high protein diet. Because quinoa is a high protein pseudo cereal, I chose to prepare that with 2 other high-protein ingredients: beans and tofu. The tofu was lightly seared and combined with the beans, quinoa, vegetables, and spiced to give it a southwestern flavor. This was a very filling and satisfying dish---one that I'll have to remember for a healthier alternative to high calorie Tex-Mex food.

Southwestern Red Quinoa and Tofu
1/2 lb extra-firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 cup diced roma tomatoes
1/2 cup sliced scallion
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground coriander
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup red quinoa (or any other color quinoa)
1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1 2.25 oz can sliced black olives
non-stick cooking spray
Salt and pepper, to taste

1. Season the tofu with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray and add the tofu; brown on all sides, then remove from skillet and set aside.
2. After the tofu is removed, wipe the pan clean with paper towel and re-spray with cooking spray. Add the tomato and scallion and cook about 5 minutes, stirring often, to allow the moisture to evaporate from the tomatoes.
3. Add the cumin, chili powder, and coriander to the tomato mixture. Stir 30 seconds to toast the spices. Add the broth and increase the heat to high to allow the mixture to boil. Once it comes to a boil, add the tofu, beans, and quinoa; season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover the skillet and drop the heat to medium high. Cook for 15 minutes or until the quinoa is al dente. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and stir in the olives.

Servings per recipe: 4
Per serving:
Calories: 302
Fat: 8 g
Saturated fat: 1.3 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 545 mg
Carbohydrates: 42.3 g
Fiber: 7.4 g
Sugar: 1.9 g
Protein: 17.3 g

Labels: , , , , , ,