Lentils with Green Beans

I was so lucky to be able to go home for the memorial day weekend. While home, I found some much-needed recipe inspiration. My family and I ate lunch at a health food store in Bloomington, Indiana, called Bloomingfoods. It had a really good salad bar that had several made-up salads and hot dishes. One of them that I tried was a very simple but impressing nonetheless. It consisted of lentils and green beans. It wasn't overly spiced; it was simple and comforting. I tried to recreate it tonight as a nice inexpensive side dish that I paired with a green salad. It was just as comforting as when I had it the first time and very close to the real thing. I love green beans so much I might have added a few more than were in the original, however, but I'm allowed some creative liberties, aren't I?












Lentils with Green Beans


1/2 cup light green lentils
2 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup diced onion
1 15-oz can cut green beans
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp sage
1/4 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
non-stick cooking spray
salt and pepper, to taste

1. Place the lentils in a colander and rinse them and pick through them for stones. Set aside.
2. Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray and add the onion and garlic; cook until fragrant and translucent.

3. Add the broth, thyme, sage, bay leaf, and salt and pepper and raise the heat to high. Once the broth mixture comes to a boil, add the lentils. Drop the heat to medium and cover with a lid. Cook for 40-50 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
4. Add the green beans and continue to cook until the green beans are heated through and the lentils have become very tender and slightly mushy. Serve immediately.









Servings per recipe: 2
Per serving:
Calories: 210
Fat: 1.3 g
Saturated fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 388 mg
Carbohydrates: 34.2 g
Fiber: 16.4g
Protein: 15.8 g

Labels: , , , , ,