Revamped Cobb Salad

When I was little, my parents took me to one of the theme parks in Florida...I happened to be so young I can't remember which one! But, the particular park we went to happened to have a Brown Derby restaurant. I remember my parents ordering Cobb Salad, which is a signature dish at the restaurant which consisted of finely chopped ingredients: lettuce, cheeses, avocado, bacon, egg and a sweet and sour dressing. The salad was tossed table side along with a story of the origin, which if I recall correctly the salad was made because some old guy couldn't chew but wanted salad---I don't know. Anyway, I tried some and it obviously left an impression on me if I remember the salad but not the huge theme park I was at! (I guess I was a foodie already by the tender age of 8...)

Later on in life, I started making Susan Powter's Cobb Salad, which substituted low-fat cheeses, turkey bacon, and egg whites. It was pretty good too. My final spin on this salad includes all the usual Cobb Salad fixings, just lightened up and less chopped---this is an arranged salad, which looks beautiful but requires less chopping action on the cook's part. This is a great light meal and would travel well to work for lunch.

Revamped Cobb Salad

For the dressing:
1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tbsp oil
1 tsp honey mustard
1 tsp honey
salt and pepper to taste

For the salad:
2 cups baby spinach
1/2 tomato, sliced
1/4 avocado, sliced
2 cooled hard-cooked egg whites, cut into slivers
2 tbsp reduce fat blue cheese
2 strips Morningstar Farms vegetarian bacon, or other veg*n bacon, or turkey bacon

1. Add the vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper to the bowl. Here's a tip: rub your measuring spoon with a little oil, then measure in the honey. It will pour out cleanly when you add it to the previous ingredients. Blend those things together with a fork or small wire whisk, and then dribble in the oil as you continue with whisk. Set the dressing aside.
2. Make a bed with spinach onto a plate. Arrange the tomato, avocado, egg white, and crumbed bacon on top of the spinach.
3. Re-whisk the dressing and dribble a little bit onto each salad component. Serve immediately. If taking this for lunch, keep the dressing separate until serving.

Servings per recipe: 1
Per serving:
Calories: 293
Fat: 19.3 g
Saturated fat: 3.8
Cholesterol: 7.5 mg
Sodium: 582 mg
Carbohydrates: 13.9
Fiber: 6.1 g
Sugar: 6.2 g
Protein: 17.1 g

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,