Japonica Rice and Edamame Salad

In one of my previous posts, I mentioned eating lunch at Bloomingfoods, a health food store in Bloomington, Indiana. Several of the prepared salads on their salad bar really made an impression on me. One of them was a red rice salad with edamame. I love rice salads made with nutty wild-type rices. These types of rices hold their shape in salad dressing and don't get gummy like their white counterparts. The fibrous hull on the outside gets nice and chewy in a chilled salad. Adding crunchy vegetables to a rice salad adds even more texture. I made my version, now that I am back in Georgia, with a rice blend called japonica rice from Lundberg Farms. I always enjoy Lundberg farms products. This rice in particular combines black and mahogany rices. The color of the rice once cooked, however, is an inky purple, which beautifully contrasts chartreuse edamame and bright orange bell peppers. This is a nice salad to remind me of a fun weekend with my family.

Japonica Rice and Edamame Salad

1 cup red, black, mahogany, or wild rice (or any combo of those types of rices)
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups shelled edamame (thawed frozen or blanched fresh)
2 scallions, sliced
1/2 red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, chopped
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp unbleached organic cane sugar
salt and pepper, to taste

1. Cook the rice according to package directions using the vegetable broth instead of water.
2. Meanwhile, blend the oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper in the bottom of the salad bowl.
3. When the rice is ready, toss the rice, edamame, scallions, and bell pepper in the salad bowl with the dressing.
4. Chill the salad at least one hour, tossing before serving.

Servings per recipe: 4
Per serving:
Calories: 334
Fat: 11.7 g
Saturated fat: 1.9 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 395 mg
Carbohydrates: 49.1 g
Fiber: 5.2 g
Sugar: 6.9 g
Protein: 16.1 g

Labels: , , , , , ,