Mediterranean Salad

It saddens me that we are halfway through July (nearly), and I have only made one post on here. I have been away doing field work for most of last week, away from the Internet, so posting was impossible. At least I got a good portion of work done and was able to spend some time with my friend and her cute dog. We didn't eat out, like we normally do while doing field work. Instead, we opted to cook at the field house, where we made some really good beans and rice, which I wish to share if I have time to before I move out of my current apartment on the 27th of July. I won't get to move into my new place until the 3rd of August, so posting may be slim. If I end up staying with friends instead of staying at my field house doing work, I will definitely cook for them in return and post any recipes that I make for them!

Today's lunch was a product of my going to the store with a minimal shopping list and thinking "just get some salad ingredients." Lucky for me, I stayed within budget despite my lack of direction. I grabbed several ingredients that reminded me of two of my favorite Mediterranean dishes: horiatiki salata, which is a common Greek salad, and Italian antipasti. I have been fortunate enough to have spent some time in Greece, but I never actually made it to the Mediterranean Sea, just the Aegean Sea. I haven't been to Italy, but it's on my list of places to see before I die.

Here is my Mediterranean salad, full of vegetables with a lemon-feta dressing. I added the feta to the dressing because that's my favorite part of the Greek salad, so I wanted some cheese in every bite. The oregano as a garnish lends a mintiness to each bite as well. Feel free to add any other vegetables---cucumber and red onion would be nice additions.




Mediterranean Salad

3 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp flax seed oil or extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp honey
salt and pepper, to taste
6 cups shredded romaine lettuce
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
9 cherry tomatoes, halved
3/4 cup reduced fat feta cheese crumbles
6 tbsp black olives
1 bell pepper (any color), cut into strips
1 cup marinated artichoke hearts (about 4 heart quarters), with the residual marinade that was clinging to the artichokes
1 tsp dried oregano

1. In the bottom of the salad bowl, combine the lemon juice, vinegar, oil, honey, and some salt and pepper. Whisk with a fork to combine. Add half of the feta cheese and with the back of the fork, mash some of the cheese into the dressing and re-whisk.
2. Add all of the rest of the salad ingredients, excluding the remaining cheese and oregano, and toss.
3. Place the salad on each serving plate and garnish with the cheese and the oregano.

Servings per recipe: 3
Per serving:
Calories: 360
Fat: 14 g
Saturated fat: 4.2 g
Cholesterol: 10 mg
Sodium: 660 mg
Carbohydrates: 44 g
Fiber: 14 g
Protein: 18.5 g

Labels: , , , , , , ,