One-Pan Spice Roasted Chicken and Vegetables

I came back from field work for about a week only to throw myself into the chaos of a move from one side of campus to the other. I think it's worth it because I am really enjoying my new place so far, despite the fact that I am still living out of boxes and don't have Internet yet (therefore I have to go to campus or a cafe to do work online).

Last night I prepared my first dinner in my new place. I finally had the room to get out my big roasting pan, which I used to roast up some chicken and different vegetables. I was primarily inspired by Nigella Lawson to roast meat and vegetables in one pan. The idea is that, while people are impressed with the meal, it's so easy to do. You have one pan to clean up and that's it. I often think people get confused between something being difficult to cook and something taking a long time to cook. The preparation maybe takes 10 minutes; you just dump ingredients into the pan and bake. While it's cooking you can go off and do other things in the house. There's no standing over a hot stove stirring a bunch of different things to get the same components in the meal (protein, carb, and vegetable).

This meal would be a perfect date meal, and of course you could augment this meal by separating the meat and the vegetables between two pans. To make clean up easier, put a layer of aluminum foil down. I attempted to do this, however I was a little shy with the amount of foil, which you can see in the pictures. At least my pan is non-stick, so it was cleaned in no time still. To make sure all the vegetables cook at the same time, cut the peppers and the onions into the largest chunks, cut the sweet potato into medium chunks, and then the white potatoes into the smallest chunks. Despite the fact that it's more difficult to cut through a sweet potato than the white potatoes, the white potatoes still take the longest to cook.

One-Pan Spice Roasted Chicken and Vegetables

1 large sweet potato, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 medium red potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1 1/2 inch squares
1/2 medium red onion, cut into 6 wedges
6 cloves of garlic, with the skin left on
4 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground coriander
salt (preferably kosher salt) and pepper, to taste
non-stick cooking spray

1. Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray. Add all the ingredients to the roasting pan and toss.
3. Place the chicken skin side up in the center of the pan, giving each a little space in between, and spread the vegetables around. Sprinkle a little more paprika and pepper onto each piece of chicken so it looks pretty after roasting.
4. Bake for 40 minutes, tossing the vegetables after 20 minutes. Allow the dish to rest 5 minutes before serving.








Servings per recipe: 2
Per serving:
Calories: 561
Fat: 16.2 g
Saturated fat: 3.4 g
Cholesterol: 101 mg
Sodium: 151 mg
Carbohydrates: 63.9 g
Fiber: 9.3 g
Sugar: 12.7 g
Protein: 40.6 g

Labels: , , , ,