Chocolate Cream Pie

For the dinner I was going to last night, I had every intention to make a lemon mousse pie from one of the box mixes I inherited from one of my old roommates. Upon opening the box, I realized the filling mix was as hard as a rock and despite beating it against the counter a few times the mixture wouldn't budge. Lucky for me, I had the ingredients to make homemade chocolate pudding, so I tossed the bad ingredients and made the graham cracker crust according to package directions. The crust was then filled with the chocolate pudding, and once cooled, was topped with sweetened whipped cream.



Chocolate Cream Pie


5 oz graham cracker crumbs
5 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup unbleached organic cane sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/8 tsp salt
2 cups milk (I used skim to cut calories)
2 egg yolks
2 tsp pure vanilla extract

sweetened whipped cream, if desired (or you could use Cool Whip, but just don't tell me about it...)

1. Combine the crumbs and butter in a small bowl and press them into a 8"-9" pie shell; set aside to harden and cool.
2. Sift the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, and salt into a 2-qt saucepan.
3. Combine the milk and egg yolks; gradually stir them into the cocoa mixture. Heat the saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and boils. Boil ans stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla, and then pour the pudding through a fine wire mesh sieve to remove any lumps.
4. Pour the hot pudding into the crust. Once it stops steaming, place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding to keep it from forming a skin. Allow it to continue to cool slightly, then set it in the refrigerator to cool completely.
5. Garnish the pie with whipped cream, if desired.

Servings per recipe: 8
Per serving, without whipped cream:
Calories: 234
Fat: 10.3 g
Saturated fat: 5.3 g
Cholesterol: 73 mg
Sodium: 253 mg
Carbohydrates: 32.4 g
Fiber: 2.1 g
Sugar: 18.8 g
Protein: 4.5 g

Labels: , ,