Chocolate Pecan Fudge

It's been a while since I posted anything, and I'm glad to be back. The whole month of September has been consumed with teaching a thesis writing. My camera is full of pictures from things that I have cooked, yet I haven't had a chance to write about them!

I'm back at it with a recipe I made a few weeks ago for a departmental picnic. It was probably a mistake to make fudge in a hot Georgia September, but it was one of those situations where I had the ingredients, so I might as well make it and make my life a little easier. This fudge recipe is based off of Nigella Lawson's chocolate pistachio fudge from one of her Christmas specials. I opted to use pecans because it's difficult to find shelled pistachios where I live and also, pecans are much cheaper. I liked going along with Nigella's suggestion of stashing this in the freezer. It makes it taste like icy cubes of the most decadent chocolate butter cream frosting.

Chocolate Pecan Fudge

12 oz dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), chopped
1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
2 tbsp unsalted butter
pinch salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans

1. Add the chocolate, condensed milk, butter, and salt in a medium saucepan on low heat; stir to melt.
2. Add the pecans to the melted chocolate.
3. Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 9"x9" square pan (or equivalent). You can line the pan with aluminum foil to make taking the fudge out later easier.
4. Let the fudge cool at room temperature, then place in the refrigerator or freezer to set, at least one hour in the freezer.
5. Cut into approximately 64 pieces.

Servings per recipe: 64
Per serving:
Calories: 57
Fat: 3.1 g
Saturated fat: 1.7 g
Cholesterol: 4 mg
Sodium: 18 mg
Carbohydrates: 6.7 g
Sugar: 6.1 g
Protein: 1 g

Labels: , ,