Sausage and Lentil Soup

This semester, Wednesdays are my crazy day. I have lab at 8 am and stay on campus until 8 pm because I teach two classes back-to-back in the evening. Whenever I get home I'm so hungry I just want to grab the first thing I see, which I feel is bad because I ought to be eating a proper meal. Because dinners those nights are relatively late, I try to eat lighter foods. Because of all these factors, making soup in the crockpot is an obvious choice. The soup is ready when I get home, it's a filling meal, yet can be made with light ingredients like lentils, vegetables, and lean meat. One of my latest creations was a lentil soup made special with a little turkey Italian sausages. As one of my favorite celebrity chefs, Ina Garten would say, this is a classic recipe with the volume turned up...




Sausage and Lentil Soup

1 cup French green lentils
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 small onion, diced
1 stalk celery, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 14.5-oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
2 links turkey Italian sausage, casings removed
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried basil
garnish: Parmesan cheese

1. Rinse and drain the lentils and add them to your crockpot.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients, making sure to tear the sausage into chunks before you add them.
3. Cook the soup on high for 4-6 hours or low 6-8 hours, or until the lentils are soft.
4. Garnish with Parmesan cheese.

Servings per recipe: 4
Per serving:
Calories: 304
Fat: 5.8 g
Saturated fat: 1.6 g
Cholesterol: 36 mg
Sodium: 718 mg
Carbohydrates: 37.5 g
Fiber: 16.3 g
Sugar: 4.5 g
Protein: 25.7 g

Labels: , , , ,