Golden Lemon Roasted Chicken

I like to make roasted chicken while I'm at home because I know my mom enjoys it. For this roasted chicken, I started with a recipe from a magazine but didn't even end up following it because I just wanted to experiment. Part of this recipe was inspired by my chicken souvlaki marinade, part of it was inspired by middle eastern spices, and the final part of this recipe was the goal of making extremely moist chicken. Because of the sugars from the lemon, the chicken browns beautifully. The lemons char a little bit, giving them a more complex, sweeter flavor. I used my favorite spice twins, coriander and cumin, to make the chicken have a bright flavor. Between the lemon and the Dijon mustard, the pan juices turn a lovely yellow color. I served this chicken with rice pilaf (recipe to come).

And, I'm sorry if the picture of this chicken looks incredibly crooked---for some reason I was having trouble uploading the picture in the direction I wanted it to go and after several tries I really just didn't want to deal with it anymore (I'm incorrigibly impatient)...however, this chicken looks good from any angle, in my opinion.





Golden Lemon Roasted Chicken

2 lbs bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 5-6 thighs)
1 lemon, cut into 16 mini wedges
5-6 whole cloves garlic, with the skin on
1 onion, cut into thick slices
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp sugar
non-stick cooking spray
1/2 tsp paprika

1. In a large bowl or large freezer bag, add all the ingredients (except paprika and cooking spray) and mush them around to coat the chicken. Allow the chicken to marinate all day or even overnight.
2. Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a roasting pan with cooking spray and arrange the chicken skin-side up along with the marinade components in the pan. Sprinkle each piece of chicken with paprika. Bake the chicken for 40-45 minutes, or until the juices run clear.
3. Serve the chicken with pan juices and cooked onions.

Per chicken thigh:
Calories: 304
Fat: 11.4 g
Saturated fat: 3.1 g
Cholesterol: 135 mg
Sodium: 147 mg
Carbohydrates: 3.3 g
Fiber:0.6 g
Sugar: 0.9 g
Protein: 44.5 g

Labels: , , ,