Real French Onion Dip for the Superbowl

Today is the Superbowl, so I'm going to a watch the game with my friends. To be honest, I don't understand football at all. I've had so many people try to explain it to me, but I just don't get it. Actually, the reason I'm watching the game is because where there is a football game, there are snacks and opportunites to make new recipes. But before I get into describing the recipe I made for today, I have one thing to say:

GO COLTS!


Ok, now that that's taken care of, I'm going to describe my contribution to the party. The idea for this came from a mental run-down of all the good foods to have while watching the game. Of course, chips and dip always go over well, but I didn't want to make one of those dips where you open the packet and out comes dehydrated onions and a brown, powdery mix of spices. I wanted to take a dip and make it from scratch. This time, I gave the good old standby, French onion dip, a face lift. There was no brown powdery mix used in this project! Instead, I cooked onions as if I were making French onion soup (hence why I am calling it "real" French onion dip). I caramelized them and then added them to not just sour cream but cream cheese to make a much more rich dip. I've got celery, carrots, and pretzels for people who want to eat lighter, and then the best chips in the world---Kettle Chips---for those who want to indulge. This dip smells like the regular pre-fab French onion dip, but there are sweet, slightly crunchy onions instead of those reconstituted bits. Those pre-fab dips can also be really salty, so by making this dip yourself you can have control of your salt levels.

Real French Onion Dip

1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1/4 tsp sugar
1 8-oz package light cream cheese, softened
1 cup light sour cream
1 tbsp chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
salt and pepper, to taste

1. In a medium skillet over medium heat, add the oil. Once the oil is warm, add the onions and season them with salt and pepper. Allow them to cook until they are translucent, then lower the heat to medium-low and add the sugar. Allow the onions to cook, stirring often, until they are deeply browned, which may take at least 10-15 minutes.
2. Once the onions are finished cooking, set them aside.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the onions with the cream cheese, sour cream, parsley, lemon juice, and Worchestershire sauce. Beat the mixture with a hand mixer until everything is well combined. Taste the dip for seasoning, and add more salt and pepper, if necessary.
4. Serve chilled with crudite or chips.



Labels: , , , ,