Favorite Snack: Greek Yogurt with Blackberries, Honey, and Almonds

I've finally wrapped up another semester, only to immediately take not one, but two trips to my field site in northeastern Georgia. One trip combined work and pleasure because I did a plant census and camped with friends. I am no expert camper, but I believe this trip helped me to go from rookie camper to novice because I was able to start the campfire myself for the first time. Lucky for me, I have friends who are good cook and love to eat a variety of foods, which translates to good meals over the open fire. Dinner on the last night was memorable: a chicken roasted in a pan that was sat next to the fire, vegetables (asparagus, grape tomatoes, whole mushrooms, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, and basil) wrapped in aluminum and roasted, and roasted potatoes, also cooked in aluminum foil. For dessert, I employed the foil again because I wrapped sliced apples with butter, raw sugar, and cinnamon and roasted those in the fire. They tasted like the center of an apple pie! So delicious. Here are some pictures of where we were camping:






It seems like it's been so long since I posted a recipe, so I thought about posting one of my favorite things to eat, even though it's incredibly simple. It's a snack that I eat multiple times a week, and now that blackberries are in season, it's even more delicious. It's Greek yogurt, which has more protein than regular yogurt, along with almonds and honey. During winter, I was preparing this recipe with thawed frozen blackberries, which are delicious but don't really compare to fresh. I love blackberries because they're full of antioxidants and their flavor reminds me of my childhood in Indiana, where we often picked fresh blackberries in the summer.





Greek Yogurt with Blackberries, Honey, and Almonds
Printable Recipe

1 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
2/3 cup fresh or thawed frozen blackberries
2 tbsp chopped almonds
1 tsp honey

1. Place the yogurt in a bowl, then top with the berries, almonds, and drizzle with honey. Can be made several hours ahead of time.














Labels: , , , ,