Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Fresh Strawberry Lemonade

I know the old quote goes "when life hands you lemons, make lemonade." However, life handed me lots and lots of strawberries...organic strawberries from a local farm. When you've got an ingredient in abundance, you might as well experiment with some new recipes, so I decided to use some of them to make strawberry lemonade. It's the perfect thing to have on hand, now that it's getting hot outside! I used one of my favorite ingredients for this recipe, and it is my sweetener of choice when not baking (although I do think you can bake with it, I just haven't tried it yet). It's Truvia, which is a natural sweetener derived from the stevia plant. I prefer to use Truvia as opposed to artificial sweeteners because I think it's slightly more natural than, say, Sweet-n-Low and Equal. Also, I suggest you go the extra mile and juice your own lemons...fresh lemons taste so much better than the bottled stuff.

Fresh Strawberry Lemonade

10 oz fresh strawberries, chopped
1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice (8-9 lemons)
18-24 packets Truvia
3 cups water

1 cup ice cubes
3 cups soda water


1. Add the chopped strawberries to a (approximately 2-qt) pitcher. Using a wooden spoon, muddle them until they become a course puree (optional: put them in a food processor to get a smoother texture).
2. Add your lemon juice, stevia, and non-carbonated water to the pitcher with the strawberries. Stir to combine. Store the lemonade in the refrigerator until serving.
3. To serve, divide the ice amongst serving glasses, then divide the lemonade. Top each glass with the soda water. Serve immediately.

  • Servings per recipe: 6
  • Per serving:
  • Calories: 30
  • Fat: 0.1 g
  • Saturated fat: 0 g
  • Cholesterol: 0 mg
  • Sodium: 6 mg
  • Carbohydrates: 8.9 g
  • Fiber: 1.2 g
  • Sugar: 3.8 g
  • Protein: 0.6 g

8 comments:

  1. that would SOOOOO hit the spot right now. our indiana strawberries are almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indiana strawberries are the best, hands down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Cassandra, I've been looking for the right strawberry Lemonade. I like your version.

    Have an awesome and blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to show some prejudice here but Indiana strawberries are the BEST! They run a little small but are oh so sweet and are a full berry-no holes in the middle and this sounds great for those hot and humid Indiana days!! Mina

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so refreshing! I make lemonade quite often, but nver combined it with any other fruits. Strawberry is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm. That looks really good! Perfect for a hot summer day. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cassandra,
    this is a refreshing drink..great for summer :)
    thanks for sharing this fantastic summer drink with us for it is summer all year round for me here ;)
    I have a dessert haven..pls do drop when you feel like it :)
    http://www.elinluvdelights.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love fruit in lemonade. The strawberries are perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails