Sunday, May 16, 2010

Gingerbread Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Happy birthday, dad! Here's a special recipe I made for him. In our family, he's known as the cookie monster and can down cookies so fast you wouldn't believe it. For his birthday treat, I made him cookies, naturally, but I had trouble deciding which ones to make. His favorites have to be either molasses cookies or oatmeal raisin cookies. Both cookies share a similar flavor, so I thought, why not hybridize the recipes and see what happens? While making the cookies, I decided to take the spices a bit further than just cinnamon, which is what is in oatmeal raisin cookies. I added spices associated with gingerbread because molasses is in gingerbread. The final product is a soft, chewy cookie (thanks to the molasses), studded with oatmeal, raisins, and walnuts.

I like this cookie because it incorporates healthier ingredients, such as the unrefined flour and sugar, oats, nuts, and fruit. Some might perceive cookies as being unhealthful, but I know by adding certain ingredients I am making a healthier option than, say, a chocolate chip cookie (my neighbor/friend, whom I delivered some of these cookies to, thankfully backs me up on this idea).

I had to mail these cookies to my dad, and I hope when he opens the bag he can smell all the spices: vanilla, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, clove, and ginger. I know my kitchen was smelling like spices long after I finished baking these! If you like soft, tender cookies, these ones are for you!

Gingerbread Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Printable Recipe

1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups unbleached granulated sugar
1/2 cup molasses
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups unbleached flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups oatmeal (I like the old-fashioned kind)
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp cloves
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped walnuts

1. With a stand mixer or hand mixer and large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light in texture.
2. Blend the molasses, eggs, and vanilla into the butter mixture until it becomes a uniform color.
3. Add all the ingredients except the raisins and nuts to the butter mixture and thoroughly combine. Fold in raisins and nuts. Be sure to thoroughly fold the bottom ingredients to the top to ensure a homogeneous dough.
4. Line your baking pan with parchment paper. Drop the dough in mounded teaspoonfuls onto the parchment paper. I like to use two spoons to help me shape the dough: one to pull the dough out of the bowl, the other to shape the top of the dough ball. Be sure to give each cookie plenty of space around (about 2 inches in between), because these do spread.
5. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and bake the cookies 11-12 minutes, or until the outer edges are slightly firm (however the center should be still soft).
6. Once the cookies are removed from the oven, allow them to rest 5 minutes on the pan before removing them. After the 5 minutes, simply slide the parchment with the cookies off the pan and onto the counter. Allow the cookies to cool to room temperature before packing them into air-tight containers. Makes 5 dozen cookies.

  • Servings per recipe: 60 (1 cookie per serving)
  • Per serving:
  • Calories: 128
  • Fat: 6.2 g
  • Saturated fat: 3.1 g
  • Cholesterol: 18 mg
  • Sodium: 77 mg
  • Carbohydrates: 17.1 g
  • Fiber: 0.7 g
  • Sugar: 9.7 g
  • Protein: 1.7 g
  
Gingerbread Oatmeal Raisin Cookies on FoodistaGingerbread Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

1 comment:

  1. Let me tell you, as the recipient of these cookies in Indiana they were FABULOUS!! I must say, the BEST cookies I have ever tasted, and I love my cookies!! Mina

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails