Thursday, June 3, 2010

Peach-Strawberry Crisp with Pecans

This past weekend I managed to get home for Memorial Day. I brought some Georgia peaches home and decided to use them in a crisp so that my whole family could enjoy them. My mom happened to have some fresh strawberries on hand, so I added them to the crisp as well. To make the topping more special, I added pecans to give more crunch and to go along the theme with the Georgia peaches. I added a lot less sugar than the Betty Crocker crisp recipe (which I used as a guideline) because the fruit was so sweet already. I also added a lot less butter, and it still tasted delicious. I definitely tailored this recipe for my mom, too, who likes the fruit to be covered with thickened syrup, or "goo" as we call it. She also like lots of crunchy topping, so I put a nice thick layer on.

Peach-Strawberry Crisp with Pecans
Printable Recipe

Fruit filling:

4 cups sliced peaches (from about 6 peeled peaches)
1 cup quartered strawberries
2 tbsp granulated sugar (preferably unbleached)
2 tbsp all-purpose flour (preferably unbleached)
pinch salt

Topping:

1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
1/4 cup cold butter, diced into small cubes
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch ground nutmeg

non-stick cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare a medium baking dish by spraying it with non-stick cooking spray
2. In a medium bowl, toss the peaches and strawberries with the sugar, flour, and salt. Add it to the prepared dish.
3. In a small bowl, add all the topping ingredients. Using a fork, a pastry cutter, or your finger tips, cut in the butter until the topping looks moistened. Sprinkle it evenly over the fruit.
4. Bake the crisp for 30 minutes or until the juices are bubbling and the topping is crisp and browned.

  • Servings per recipe: 8
  • Per serving:
  • Calories: 215
  • Fat: 8.9 g
  • Saturated fat: 3.9 g
  • Cholesterol: 15 mg
  • Sodium: 63 mg
  • Carbohydrates: 33 g
  • Fiber: 2.8 g
  • Sugar: 20.2 g
  • Protein: 3 g

2 comments:

  1. This was delicious, and just enough "goo" to make "mom" happy. Fruit was still firm enough to be able to taste and just enough sweetness and topping, it was "perfect" in my opinion. Cassie's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's all about making mom happy :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails