Raspberry and Dark Chocolate Semifreddo

It's another week and another time to post foodbuzz.com's daily special. My favorite special this week is an electric salt and pepper grinder...not only does it grind, it has a little light on the bottom so you can see exactly how much you've added. How cute is that? I can imagine taking these camping and when making foil-wrapped packets of good food, I can season them to perfection because I can see what I'm doing! Another reason I am posting these is because I have neither a proper pepper grinder nor a salt grinder. I use kosher salt that I store in an old Grey Poupon jar and my pepper grinder is one of those McCormick grinders. I had a pepper grinder at one point in time, but it bit the dust. Just another thing I need to add to my list of kitchen essentials.

This week I made a really decadent recipe for a few friends who came over for a dinner party. I served a two-course meal, with the main course being my spice roasted chicken and vegetables. Everyone who has tried that recipe has loved it, and it's a fool-proof recipe for small dinner parties. I'd have to say that the main course was definitely surpassed by dessert. Now, I know this site is focused on health and a raspberry dark chocolate semifreddo seems counter-intuitive to healthy eating, but let me explain my reasoning. I think it's more healthy to eat whole, real ingredients. Therefore, I'd rather have a little bit of full-fat ice cream that has pronounceable ingredients than some sort of fat-free Frankenstein ice cream full of fillers and who knows what else. Therefore, I don't feel guilty eating a little bit of this rich dessert and I hope you don't either.

This semifreddo recipe is derived from one of my most cherished cookbooks, The Silver Spoon, a quintessential cookbook if you are seriously into Italian cuisine. The recipe is exactly the same as theirs, however the addition of chocolate was totally me because I love chocolate! The original recipe was supposed to fill 1 loaf pan, but perhaps loaf pans are massive in Italy---I ended up with not only a loaf pan of ice cream but also a 1.5 qt casserole dish! I guess it's good to have so ice cream on hand, however, because it's been ridiculously hot outside lately. For this version I'm giving you, I adjusted the proportions.

Raspberry and Dark Chocolate Semifreddo
Printable Recipe

3/4 cup raspberries, fresh or thawed frozen
3 eggs
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp unbleached granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 oz dark chocolate, chopped (I used Lindt brand)

1. Add the raspberries to a small bowl and lightly mash them with a fork; set aside.
2. Whisk the eggs with the sugar in a medium heat-safe bowl. Set the bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water and whisk continually until the mixture thickens. It should go from a golden caramel-colored liquid to a yellowy-beige thickened liquid. It should take about 10-15 minutes of whisking. An electric hand mixer can be used to whisk as well.
3. Once the egg mixture has thickened, remove it from the pan and continue whisking it until it's completely cool.
4. Stiffly whip the cream, then fold in the raspberries and cooled egg mixture.
5. Line a rectangular loaf pan with plastic wrap and sprinkle the chocolate on the bottom. Pour over the ice cream. Freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight before serving. Turn the semifreddo out the the pan, remove the plastic wrap, and slice.

Labels: , , ,