Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Roasted Grouper with Tomatoes and Capers

For this next Daily Special Posting Challenge, I'm going to post and item that I've wanted for a really long time, but I don't have (which I seem to be doing a lot for these challenge postings). This item is a classic kitchen item and I hope to have someday. It's the Le Crueset enamel-on-steel stockpot, and I really love the color Caribbean, which would look so cute alongside my pink Kitchen-Aid stuff.
Now, onto my latest recipe inspiration.

Last Friday I had a girls night with a few of my friends. We went to see a girly movie, Letters to Juliet, which can only be described as a chick flick. It was a decent movie---entertaining at least. We went to downtown Savannah after the movie to an amazing restaurant that focuses on everything you want after dinner: a delicious dessert or fantastic cocktail. The place was called Lulu's Chocolate Bar, and I had the most fantastic chocolate cake. It was called a chocolate suspension cake, where there where two layers of light, chocolate-y sponge cake filled with a mascarpone mousse that had strawberries suspended in it. The cake was covered with chocolate ganache...it was heaven on a plate! I posted the picture to the side---it's not the best photo, but you get the idea at least of what this amazing cake was like!

One of my friends prepared dinner for us that night, and as a side dish she made a delicious potato salad with capers in it. I had never had capers before because just the murky green color of them was a huge turn-off, however I went ahead and tried them and found them to be delicious. Capers have a salty, briny flavor. I sort of think they are like pickles for grown ups. I knew I had to start experimenting with this new ingredient. Here is my first recipe using capers, which is a light roasted fish dish. I used one of my favorite fish, grouper, which on the scale of flavor I would say it leans a little more towards a mild fish flavor, but it does have more flavor than tilapia, for example (which would be a great substitute in this recipe, by the way). I serve this with another one of my new favorite ingredients, farro, an ancient grain native to the Mediterranean, which I cooked using chicken broth instead of water.

Roasted Grouper with Tomatoes and Capers
Printable Recipe

1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp dry white wine
1 cup diced fresh tomato
1 tbsp drained capers
1/8 tsp dried oregano
2 4-oz grouper fillets
salt and pepper, to taste
non-stick cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Heat the oil in a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat.
3. Add the onion and saute until the onions are translucent.
4. Add the garlic and wine and cook until the wine is almost completely evaporated and the garlic is fragrant. 5. Add the onion, capers, oregano, and some salt and pepper and simmer for about 2 minutes, or until the tomatoes are softened.
6. Spray a small, non-reactive dish such as a glass pie plate with non-stick cooking spray. Add the fish fillets to the plate and season with salt and pepper; pour over the tomato sauce.
7. Bake the fish for 12-15 minutes until opaque.








  • Servings per recipe:2
  • Per serving:
  • Calories:191
  • Fat: 3.9 g
  • Saturated fat: 0.7 g
  • Cholesterol: 53 mg
  • Sodium: 193 mg
  • Carbohydrates: 5.9 g
  • Fiber: 1.4 g
  • Sugar: 2.7 g
  • Protein: 29.3 g

4 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely delicious, and if the cake came from Savannah, it has to be good! It all looks great! Mina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just happened upon your blog. Love the great recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm famous! I'll send you that 'tater salad recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have bought capers yesterday, so I put this recipe in my apron pocket. That looks great.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails