Sunday, July 4, 2010

Spaghetti with Garlic-Roasted Tomatoes


Summer is in full swing and the variety of fresh produce is increasing, which is so inspiring for me. One thing that I seem to be inundated with is tomatoes, one of my favorite ingredients. The garden I share with my friends is just putting out its first cherry tomatoes, and we are going to have a lot of them, so I'm on a mission to do something with this tomatoes other than put them in a standard salad. Today I wanted to use up most of the tomatoes I had before going out and picking some more, so I decided roasting a large amount of them would be a great way to use them (plus, my tomatoes were looking a little less than fresh, so this was a great way to keep from wasting them). I chose yellow grape tomatoes and red cherry tomatoes and roasted them with a lot of garlic and tossed them with spaghetti. The tomatoes burst as they cooked, and the chunks of tomatoes wrapped around each strand of pasta, forming an incredibly light tomato sauce. I can see myself making this a lot over the course of the summer.

Spaghetti with Garlic-Roasted Tomatoes
Printable Recipe

1/4 lb whole wheat spaghetti
8 oz small tomatoes (grape, cherry, or pear, any color)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/8 cup chopped basil
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup reserved pasta cooking water

1. Cook the pasta according to package directions in salted water; reserve the cooking water before draining.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 425 degrees F.
3. In a non-reactive dish (I used a glass pie plate), combine the tomatoes, garlic, and oil; toss with some salt and pepper. Roast the tomatoes in the top rack of the oven for 15 minutes, tossing at least ones to prevent the garlic from burning.
4. Once the tomatoes are done roasting, combine them with the cooked pasta, Parmesan, and basil and enough pasta cooking water to allow the tomatoes to coat the pasta; I did this right in the roasting pan. Serve immediately.

  • Servings per recipe: 2
  • Per serving:
  • Calories: 209
  • Fat: 10.9 g
  • Saturated fat: 3.2 g
  • Cholesterol: 11 mg
  • Sodium: 199 mg
  • Carbohydrates: 21.1 g
  • Fiber: 4 g
  • Sugar: 3.6 g
  • Protein: 9.1 g

2 comments:

  1. My tomatoes are just beginning to come on here in Indiana, will have to give this one a try!! Mina

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful, simple, healthy recipe! We'll be doing this with ours, we're expecting a bumper crop of cherry tomatoes this year.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails