Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Gâteau au Yaourt aux Myrtilles (French Yogurt Cake with Blueberries)

Several weeks ago, I posted a recipe for French Yogurt Cake with Raspberries. One person who commented said she would add blueberries because it's what she had on hand, and ever since that comment I wanted to give it a try! Blueberries and lemon are a great combination, plus I really love the original recipe, so I knew it would turn out great. I really loved the flavor of the blueberries with the lemon--it's the perfect contrast. The yogurt definitely works to keep this cake soft and moist, plus the lemon syrup seals in the moisture. On the second cake, I actually added the syrup while the cake was still warm instead of waiting for it to cool, and it still turned out great. If you are impatient (like me) I think there would be no problem in adding the syrup before the cake was cool, as opposed to my original recipe.

Also, we found the best way to have this cake is with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, so have that on hand if you are serving this!


While I was home recently, I made two cakes, each substituting blueberries:
 
This one I made for a family get-together. I have to confess, I accidentally put the fruit and batter in the wrong order (see recipe) and the fruit ended up at the bottom. I wouldn't recommend doing that, because it makes the base of your cake unstable. It still tasted good, however.

This one I did in the batter and fruit in the proper order, so you can see all those pretty, glossy berries on top. I made this one for the people at my mom's office.
Even my dog Domino got in on the action. I let him taste the cake in the empty cake pans. He really enjoyed it!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Cassandra..
    A beautiful cake though it is put in wrong order the batter and fruit. The end result the taste is still the same :)

    Thanks for sharing this french yoghurt cake. I would want to try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As being one of the people (not counting the dog) who was lucky enough to eat this cake, it was phenomenal, the blueberries and lemon complemented each other superbly, what a delight!!! Chow Bella's mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love yoghurt cake. Will work for berries. Will work for this cake...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thing this cake doesn't take a lot of work to make! I love desserts that don't involve heavy-duty equipment...easy clean up that way :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails