Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Honey-Buttermilk Cornbread

In continuation with our soul food dinner, I made some cornbread from scratch.  I have gotten the impression that southern-style cornbread is different from what northern-style, so I consulted about.com's southern cuisine section to make sure I could get something more authentic for our party. This particular recipe appealed to me because it has honey in it, which I love.


Once I prepared the batter, I could tell it would be different than the cornbread I am used to from back home, because the batter was really thick! I thought I had made a mistake in the recipe, but I hadn't. Recipes from back home usually have a really liquidy batter. It tasted great once it was baked and I liked how the top had all these craggy peaks to soak up the extra honey I put on. One of my friends who is from the south commented on how he was glad that I didn't make it too sweet, which is one of the distinctions between each region's recipes. Also, southern-style seems really crumbly and northern-style is more cake-like. I like both styles, it just depends what you're serving alongside.

I did change the original recipe to make it a tad bit healthier. It already had buttermilk in it, which is naturally low-fat or fat-free. I used canola oil instead of melted butter because the former is a healthier fat. I also used skim milk whereas I am sure the original recipe was made with whole milk.

Honey-Buttermilk Cornbread
Printable Recipe

2 cups white stone-ground cornmeal
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup skim milk
3 tbsp honey
1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
non-stick cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Spray a 9-inch square baking pan or 9-inch round baking pan nonstick baking spray.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. In another medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, milk, honey, and oil.
5. Stir the liquid mixture into the dry mixture until just blended. Spread in the prepared baking pan, smoothing over the top with a spatula.
6. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.

  • Servings per recipe: 12
  • Per serving:
  • Calories: 180
  • Fat: 5.5 g
  • Saturated fat: 0.5 g
  • Cholesterol: 1 mg
  • Sodium: 180 mg
  • Carbohydrates: 29.9 g
  • Fiber: 1.8 g
  • Sugar: 6 g
  • Protein: 3.8 g

1 comment:

  1. Like Bella, I am used to the northern style of cornbread, and have had both styles, I must say that this look wonderful, and would be great with those Black Eyed Peas!! Mina

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails