Chicken, Zucchini, and Parmesan Skillet

As you may be aware, I unfortunately did not make it to the next round in Project Food Blog. It was a real bummer, but I was glad to have at least made it to round 2. I received a lot of great support and feedback, and I am very thankful for that, too. The good thing is it forced me to use my imagination, so I have a whole bunch of recipes I want to try out that otherwise I might not have even thought about. That is, if I ever get time to cook anything elaborate anytime soon...

It's crunch time for me. I defend my thesis in less than a month and all I do is spend my time writing. While I do like to bake to help me deal with stress, I haven't been able to make time for it...mainly I think it would totally overwhelm me to clean up a baking mess. As far as "real food" goes, when I feel stressed I just want to eat what's easy and comforting. Comfort food does not often equate to health food, however I've been doing well. Here's a recipe for an easy and quick one-skillet meal. It's especially perfect for people who are following a low-carb diet and are craving pasta, which is one of the most crave-inducing foods for me, especially when I am stressed. As I have mentioned before, I love zucchini cooked with tomatoes and flavored with Parmesan, so this recipe hits the spot. Lean chicken adds protein to keep me going late into the night as I furiously type my thesis.

Here's what it looks like in the skillet. You could serve this family-style in the skillet for a nice rustic dinner.
Chicken, Zucchini, and Parmesan Skillet
Printable Recipe

1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz chicken breast, cubed
1/4 tsp dried basil
1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups marinara sauce, store-bought or homemade (I used homemade kalamata olive and eggplant marinara sauce)
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated or sliced with a vegetable peeler
salt and pepper, to taste

1. Add the oil and garlic to a cold pan. Turn the pan on medium-high and let the oil and garlic heat up. Stir once it becomes fragrant, then add the chicken, basil, and some salt and pepper.
2. Sear the chicken on all sides, then add the zucchini and onion. Saute the meat and vegetables until the vegetables become tender.
3. Add the sauce to the meat and vegetables and stir to coat. Cook for 2-3 minutes more to allow the flavors to combine and the sauce to heat though.
4. Sprinkle over the Parmesan and cook until the cheese begins to melt. Serve immediately.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,