pumpkin cranberry muffins a few weeks ago, however my mom and I prepared another version just this weekend that were equally good. I gave this more classic version a sprinkle of raw sugar on top, which gets crunch as it bakes. The pumpkin pie spiced used is a convenient ingredient because it has all the spices you need mixed together, so you only have one spice to measure out. These made a hearty breakfast with the addition of turkey sausage.
Pumpkin, Cranberry, and Walnut Muffins
2 egg whites
3/4 cup skim milk
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
1/2 cup pure pumpkin puree
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
non-stick cooking spray
garnish: turbinado sugar (optional)
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Grease the cups of a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray; set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, blend the egg whites, milk, oil, and pumpkin. Fold in the cranberries and nuts along with the remaining ingredients except the garnish until just combined; the batter should be slightly lumpy.
4. Divide the batter amongst the muffin cups, filling each one about 3/4 of the way up. Sprinkle the top of each muffin with a small pinch of the turbinado sugar, if desired.
5. Bake the muffins until they are browned on top, about 20 minutes. Remove immediately from pan after baking.