Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Tarragon and Meyer Lemon Roasted Chicken, Potatoes, and Sweet Onions

When I moved to Texas, my dad went along with me and helped me with all my unpacking. Through the chaos of boxes and trying to get my new apartment in order, I decided we needed at least one balanced meal. While we were on the road, our diet consisted of peanut butter sandwiches, juice boxes, bananas, and crackers and we were in dire need of vegetables and protein!

Because my dad loves my spice-roasted chicken and vegetables, I decided to do another take on it with ingredients I had on hand. I brought Meyer lemons from Georgia along with fingerling potatoes and sweet Peru onions. Meyer lemons are a hybridization of regular lemons and tangerines, so they're sweeter than average lemons and incredibly juicy. The roasted lemon pulp and juices combined with the chicken juices and the pulp of the cooked onions to make a sweet and savory pan sauce. The tarragon, which typically has an anise flavor, adds a verdant freshness. I loved the mixed fingerling potatoes because there were some purple ones in the mix, which added a nice contrast between the yellow lemons and red paprika on the chicken. The colors stood out particularly well against my dark green plate.

Tarragon and Meyer Lemon Roasted Chicken, Potatoes, and Sweet Onions
Printable Recipe

4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
1/2 lb mixed-variety fingerling potatoes, split length-wise with halves and/or quarters
1 medium sweet onion
4 cloves garlic, crushed and unpeeled
1 Meyer lemon, cut into 8 wedges
1 tsp dried tarragon
1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
paprika, for sprinkling on the chicken

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. On a large baking sheet (lined with foil), toss all the ingredients together except paprika. Arrange the vegetables in close to a single layer around the chicken. Sprinkle the chicken with paprika.
3. Bake the chicken and vegetables for 35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Toss the vegetables halfway through cooking.
4. Arrange the chicken and vegetables on each plate, drizzling the pan juices over top.

  • Servings per recipe: 4
  • Per serving:
  • Calories: 290
  • Fat: 10.2 g
  • Saturated fat: 2.6 g
  • Cholesterol: 101 mg
  • Sodium: 103 mg
  • Carbohydrates: 14 g
  • Fiber: 1.6 g
  • Sugar: 2.1 g
  • Protein: 34.5 g

2 comments:

  1. Sorry I missed that meal, look wonderful and I am appropriately jealous!! Mina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up with a backyard meyer lemon tree, and have been so happy to find them in the market, now that I have moved away from SF and live in a climate unfriendly to citrus trees.
    This looks like a great use for them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails