Pulled Chicken with Cranberry Barbeque Sauce

Today's the last day of spring break, and while I wish I could have gone home or have been able to go somewhere exciting, the truth is I am in grad school so I had to stay near campus to get some work done. I did get to go hiking at Palo Duro Canyon with one of my friends. It was so beautiful it was surreal. We walked a whole 6 mile trail. We never expected to walk that far, but the beauty of the canyon kept us going. Plus, I really wanted to make it to the lighthouse, and amazing rock structure. I regret not climbing all the way to the top, but luckily the park is only about 2 hours from where I live so I can go back some other time.



We walked all the way to that rock structure (the Lighthouse) in the distance.

At the Lighthouse, with my feet hanging over the edge.

The park happened to be near Amarillo, so we drove into town for dinner, which was well-deserved after that long hike. On the way I saw a sign for award-winning barbeque, so we had to try it out. I love Texas-style barbeque because it's not as sweet as some other types that can be found around the country. I can gladly now recommend you visit Dyer's Barbeque if you ever find yourself in the Amarillo area because it was seriously good. I had the chicken and my friend had the brisket and both were excellent. I loved their barbeque sauce, which they served warm in a bottle. It wasn't too sweet and didn't have a molasses flavor like some other sauces seem to have. It had heat from black pepper and was more tomato sauce-based than ketchup-based because it wasn't sticky at all like some ketchup-based sauces tend to be. We indulged in blackberry cobbler with ice cream for dessert, which was necessary after burning all those calories walking for 4 hours. It was almost as good as what my mom would make, which means it was pretty fantastic.

At Dyer's. I knew it would be a good place to eat just because they had John Wayne on the mantle.


 While doing some cleaning up of my computer, I found some pictures  of recipes I made while home for winter break. Luckily, I recorded the recipes because this unique recipe for barbeque sauce was really good. I believe the origin for the idea was the fact that cranberries are common around the holidays, but really it's because barbeque has to be one of my favorite foods and I'm always on a search to try it a new way.




Pulled Chicken with Cranberry Barbeque Sauce
Printable Recipe

1 13.5 oz can whole berry cranberry sauce
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 cup ketchup
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast

1. Blend the first 12 ingredients together to form a sauce.
2. In a slow cooker/crockpot, add the sauce and the chicken breast. Cook 8-10 hours on low or 6-8 hour on high.
3. Extract the cooked chicken from the sauce and, once cool enough to handle, shred using two forks. Meanwhile, decant the sauce from the crockpot base into a medium saucepan. Place the saucepan on the stove and bring to boil over high heat to reduce the sauce to the desired thickness. Add the shredded chicken to the thickened sauce and serve, if desired, on bread or rolls.