Friday, June 17, 2011

Wheat Berry Salad with Black Beans and Mango

With most days for the past few weeks being over the 100 degree mark, my desire to heat up the kitchen as waned. My research project has taken off too, and I spend almost every day out in the vineyard. Spending most days out in the heat has kind of killed my appetite, and I only want to eat cold foods. I mainly eat crudites and fruit. This past weekend I took a little time to throw together a cold wheat berry salad that would keep for days and would have nearly every food category covered. I used what might be called more than my favorite fruit...a fruit I am obsessed with...mangoes. I can't seem to get enough of them! Plus they looked so pretty in this salad, which also had a lot of other colors playing in with red tomatoes and green, cool cucumbers (which I have eaten a lot of lately just because I figured they would help keep me hydrated). Black beans add some protein, but wheat berries have a good amount of protein, too, for a grain. Wheat berries are basically the whole wheat kernel in an unadulterated state, so if you're trying to add more whole foods in your diet, they might be a good addition. They're an excellent source of fiber too. If you can't find wheat berries, you can substitute brown rice, wild rice, quinoa, bulgar wheat, and whole wheat couscous, prepared according to their package directions.

This would be awesome at a barbeque because if you have vegetarians over it's substantial enough for a meal. I had this with grilled chicken and it was a great accompaniment.



Wheat Berry Salad with Black Beans and Mango

1 cup wheat berries
3 1/2 cups water
1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 mango, peeled, seeded, and diced
2 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 packet Truvia or other low-calorie sweetener, or to taste
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp dried oregano
2 scallions, sliced
2 tbsp minced cilantro or parsley
salt and pepper

1. Add the water and wheat berries to saucepan with a pinch of salt. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, cover, and cook 1 hour or until tender. Drain excess water from the cooked wheat berries.


2. Toss the wheat berries with the black beans, mango, and tomatoes.
3. Blend the oil, vinegar, Truvia, cumin, and oregano in a small bowl. Toss the dressing with the salad and garnish with the scallion and cilantro or parsley.


  • Servings per recipe:4
  • Per serving:
  • Calories: 324.5
  • Fat: 5 g
  • Saturated fat: 0.6 g
  • Cholesterol: 0 mg
  • Sodium: 328.5 mg
  • Carbohydrate: 61.1 g
  • Fiber: 12.1 g
  • Sugars: 8.6 g
  • Protein: 13.7 g

3 comments:

  1. Have never seen wheat berries in my local grocery, will have to search those out, this looks really good! Mina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could not find wheat berries in my town so I used multi grain rotini pasta used 2/3 of the 16 oz. box after cooking, and doubled the dressing. Also added about 1 Tablespoon feta cheese w/the parsley for the garnish. Was delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome! thanks for the review and adaptations!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails