Monday, July 18, 2011

Summer Berry and Salmon Salad


Today I went to the grocery store and stocked up on more fresh produce. I seem to be eating so many more fresh vegetables lately because it's just too hot to eat warm meals. I shopped at a store I don't normally go to and was actually inspired to make a new recipe for tonight's dinner because of the various items they had on sale. The berries were on sale---which are normally so expensive, right? Normally I will get strawberries because they're pretty cheap right now, but I also got blueberries and raspberries. Next was fresh salmon, which was also on sale. I need to eat more fish in general, so I took the opportunity to buy a couple fillets. I prepared a simple salad with those four ingredients. It wasn't too complicated to do, but it didn't really need to be complex because I used ingredients at their peak of flavor. The red and blue berries, baby spinach, baby red lettuce, and coral salmon made a really pretty color combination. I tried something different with the dressing by adding maple syrup instead of my usual honey. I liked the subtle maple flavor against the salmon, and it was a nice change from floral honey.

Summer Berry and Salmon Salad
Printable Recipe

2 approximately 4-5 oz salmon fillets
1 tbsp + 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
4 cups mixed greens (I used baby spinach and baby red lettuce)
1 1/2 cups mixed seasonal berries (blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, grapes, etc...)
1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
2 tsp pure maple syrup
salt and pepper, to taste

1. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the 2 tsp of oil and allow it to heat completely.
2. Sprinkle the salmon with some salt and pepper and add it to the hot skillet. Cook until the salmon is browned on the first side and flip it over. Then, drop the heat to medium and allow the salmon to cook through. Remove the cooked salmon to a plate on the side to allow it to cool slightly.
3. Blend the vinegar, remaining oil, and maple syrup together. Season with salt and pepper and toss in a medium bowl with the lettuces, saving a little dressing to drizzle over the fish.
4. Divide the lettuce between two plates. Arrange half the berries and place 1 fillet on each plate and drizzle with reserved dressing. Serve immediately.

  • Servings per recipe:2
  • Per serving:
  • Calories:368.6
  • Fat: 18 g
  • Saturated fat: 2.6 g
  • Cholesterol: 80.5 mg
  • Sodium: 221.7 mg
  • Carbohydrates: 21.6 g
  • Fiber: 4 g
  • Sugar: 11.9 g
  • Protein: 29.6 g

1 comment:

  1. Will be adding this to the menu this week, trying to get more Omega 3 in my diet so this will be a great way to do that, and I love salmon! Mina

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails