Sunday, August 21, 2011

Frittata with Sausage, Spinach and Sweet Potatoes

On a morning when I was not only craving hash browns and really wanted something other than my usual over-easy eggs and fruit, I whipped up something that not only turned out to be a kick-a** after-workout breakfast but also an amazing lunch. 

I had finished my P90X for the day and felt like getting in the kitchen and creating. I never keep white potatoes at home, but I had sweet potatoes and thought they'd make amazing and unusual hash brown/home fries. I combined them with turkey sausage that I had in leftover in my fridge and some spinach for fiber, and used this odd mixture to fill a frittata. Between being hungry from the workout and this just tasting awesome, I managed to eat half of the whole thing, even though I intended just a quarter of it. It's ok  because it actually ended up being pretty low in calories and high in protein, which was exactly what I aim for when I eat meals nowadays. Good thing I restrained myself from eating the rest, and I'm so glad I did because I ate it for lunch the next day, after warming it in the microwave. I love fritattas because you can re-warm them or eat them at room temperature and they still taste great.


The combination of flavors worked because the sausage was slightly salty and the creamy potatoes were sweet...I know a lot of people go for those contrasting flavors. The spinach and sage were both earthy and paired well together. I thought these ingredients could be potentially weird together (egg and sweet potato...what??) but they were awesome. I even liked the textural differences because the frittata became slightly crispy on the bottom and the potatoes were smooth in the center. Now that I am describing this in detail, and I want to make it again....


Frittata with Sausage, Spinach and Sweet Potatoes
Printable Recipe

1 tsp olive oil
1/2 lb mild turkey sausage (check the label for fillers, such as gluten)
1 small sweet potato, finely diced
1/4 cup finely diced onion
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp dried sage
1 1/2 cups coarsely shredded baby spinach
4 eggs (I like DHA-enhanced eggs for more omega 3 fats)
pinches of salt and pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. In a 10-inch oven-proof skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Brown the sausage.
3. Add the potato and onion and saute until there is no moisture left in the pan. Add the water, sage, and some salt and pepper and cover with a lid and cook until the potato is tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Add the spinach and allow to wilt completely. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs in a small bowl. Pour the eggs over the meat and vegetables and allow the eggs to set along the bottom. The middle does not need to set because it will be finished in the oven.
5. Bake the frittata for 5-10 minutes or until the center is no longer wobbly. Remove from the pan and cut into wedges.

  • Servings per recipe: 4
  • Per serving:
  • Calories: 180
  • Fat: 10.2 g
  • Saturated fat: 2.9 g
  • Cholesterol: 217 mg
  • Sodium: 380 mg
  • Carbohydrates: 5.2 g
  • Fiber: 0.9 g
  • Sugar: 2.1 g
  • Protein: 16.5 g

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh Bella! This is truly beautiful, and I love the idea of mixing the sweet/salty in one dish. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails