Friday, September 2, 2011

Most Delicious Smoothie Ever! (aka: Banana Nut Bread Smoothie)

For some reason I go through phases where I can't get enough of a certain food or I get dependent on a certain food because it's easy (basically, I get stuck in a food rut). For the past few weeks, my mainstay breakfast has been a couple of DHA-enhanced eggs, over easy, and some fresh fruit. Good, but boring. I made a frittata one day to change things up, but that wasn't enough to switch up my breakfast. I love smoothies when I'm in a real hurry, so I tried some to make one with the goal of lots of protein and great taste. Whey protein powder is a great source of protein, so a smoothie is a great option to up my protein intake for the day. The one that I have fallen in love with recently tastes exactly like banana nut bread. It's like I get to eat dessert for breakfast when I am really getting a good dose of protein, potassium from the banana (something I need a lot of, because I work outside in the heat and need to restore my electrolytes), and for more protein and healthy fats, pecans and flax seeds. One special touch to this recipe is adding frozen Greek yogurt, which makes the smoothie nice and thick, almost like a milkshake.

I am still eating primal/paleo. I'm still including fermented dairy. I have been reading a lot of different sources and viewpoints on the diet, and some consume whey protein. It's milk derived, of course, but I don't use it every day. I think it's good to eat a variety of foods no matter what eating plan you're on. When you allow yourself to get bored, as I have with my breakfasts, that's when trouble starts and you indulge too frequently and before you know it, you've completely fallen off the wagon.

Banana Nut Bread Smoothie
Printable Recipe

1/2 cup sliced banana
1/2 cup Greek yogurt (you can use full fat or nonfat, but it will change the nutrition profile. I use nonfat because that's all I had available)
1 cup unsweetened vanilla-flavored almond milk
1 scoop naturally-sweetened vanilla whey protein powder
2 tbsp chopped pecans
1 tbsp ground flax seeds

1. The night before, peel the banana and cut it into rounds about 1/8-inch thick. Place in a freezer bag or reusable container and freeze. Take an empty ice cube tray and spoon the yogurt into the slots. Cover the tray with plastic wrap and freeze.






2. Add the frozen ingredients to the blender along with all the rest. Blend until very smooth. Serve immediately.


  • Servings per recipe: 1
  • Per serving: 
  • Calories: 380.7
  • Fat: 16.9 g
  • Saturated fat: 1.4 g
  • Cholesterol: 0 mg
  • Sodium: 220.7 mg
  • Carbohydrate: 29.8 g
  • Fiber: 6.2 g
  • Sugars: 13.9 g
  • Protein: 31.7 g

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails