Monday, September 5, 2011

Roast Pork with Orange (Arrosto all'arancia)

Today we had our first glimpse of autumn here in West Texas. It was a pleasant 63 degrees most of the day. It was so nice to get out into the field and work without sweating like crazy. I turned off the air conditioning in my apartment and opened the windows to let the cool breeze in. I know I will be sleeping well tonight with all the fresh air in my apartment instead of stagnant air conditioned air.

Fall is my favorite season. I love getting out my sweaters and boots and having a hot cup of tea on a cool night. This will be my first fall in Texas, and I'm not sure what to expect. I hope the leaves change color, unlike most of the trees in southeast Georgia, which stayed green year round. I always miss the vibrant fall leaves of Indiana. I have also been turning my mind to classical fall foods like roasts and soups. One roast recipe that I recently prepared was based off a recipe in the Italian cookbook, The Silver Spoon, which is one of the best Italian home-cooking books around, in my opinion. This recipe was for a succulent roast pork (the recipe called for pork loin, but I used sirloin, which has a bit more flavor and is a little more cost effective) covered in a rich orange sauce scented with chili powder and oregano. This is an easy, elegant meal. I imagine this would be a great recipe to keep in your repertoire to impress any guest at your table.

Roast Pork with Orange (Arrosto all'arancia)
Printable Recipe

2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup pulp-free orange juice
1 tsp grated orange zest
1 clove garlic, minced
pinch chili powder
pinch dried oregano
1 3/4 lb pork sirloin
salt and pepper, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Melt butter in an ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the orange juice, zest, garlic, chili powder, and oregano and season with salt and pepper. Continue to heat the sauce over medium.
3. Season the meat on all sides with salt and pepper. Add to the skillet and pour some sauce over. Place the skillet in the oven and bake for about 1-1 1/4 hour, basting frequently. The meat should be opaque all the way through. The sauce should be reduced and the meat should be golden brown on top.


4. Remove the roast to a cutting board and tent with aluminum foil to keep it warm. Rest the meat for at least 5 minutes before carving. If the sauce was not reduced to your liking, you could place the skillet over medium-high heat and reduce it while the meat rests. Serve slices of the meat with the sauce.

  • Servings per recipe: 6
  • Per serving:
  • Calories: 229.9
  • Fat: 10.6 g
  • Saturated fat: 4.6 g
  • Cholesterol: 94.2 mg
  • Sodium: 111 mg
  • Carbohydrate: 4.5 g
  • Fiber: 0.2 g
  • Sugars: 3.7 g
  • Protein: 27.2 g

Share


1 comment:

  1. My local supermarket has pork roasts and loins on sale this week and this would be a great way to use one! Mina

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails