Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Paleo Peach Crumble

Perhaps it's just regional, but right now in my supermarket peaches are looking amazing. Compared to Indiana, I think peaches must run later in the season. The main reason I noticed this is because I went to the supermarket with the idea that I was going to make dark chocolate covered strawberries for dessert and found that there were none. Isn't it a bummer when you go to the store for the one thing you need and they don't have it?? In an effort to think fast, I got some lovely giant peaches in hopes that I could somehow pull together a semi-paleo dessert. Desserts are probably the hardest thing about paleo for me. It's not that I crave them, it's that when I serve them to other people I hope they don't taste weird.


So, on the fly I made a chunky peach crumble dessert. Instead of using granulated sugar, I used a little honey, the sweetness of the peaches themselves, and some golden raisins. The raisins didn't lend much in terms of flavor, but I figured they'd bind the crumble mixture just like flour and butter would. I was also worried that the fruit wouldn't have a nice sauce the way flour-thickened fruit does, but actually the sauce was quite thick and delicious. I hypothesize that the fruit pectins created a nice syrup. I was really pleased with the result. It didn't taste as if I was trying to force a dessert out of healthy ingredients. It was really good, no excuses, no need to keep in mind that it's simulating an unhealthy dessert. It's the perfect late summer treat...not too sweet, and a warm way to end a chilly evening.


I really think this recipe would be nice with a lot of different fruits, like nectarines, apples, plums, pears, and apricots.

Paleo Peach Crumble
Printable Recipe

For the crumble:
3 tbsp cold, unsalted butter
1/4 c + 2 tbsp golden raisins
1/4 c + 2 tbsp chopped pecans
1/4 c + 2 tbsp chopped almonds
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

For the fruit:
4 large peaches-about 5 cups-peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
a dash ground nutmeg
1/2 tbsp honey

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a mini food processor, pulse the butter with the raisins. Then, add the nuts and pulse until roughly chopped. Finally, pulse in the honey and cinnamon. If you don't have a food processor, chop the raisins and nuts by hand, then cut the honey, butter, and cinnamon in with a fork. Set aside.
3. Toss the fruit with the cinnamon, nutmeg, and honey. Pour into a lightly buttered 2 to 2 1/2 qt baking dish. Sprinkle the crumble over relatively evenly.
4. Bake for 30-35 min or until the juices are very bubbly and the crumble mixture has become 1 shade darker. Cool slightly before serving. Best served warm.

  • Servings per recipe: 6
  • Per serving:
  • Calories: 231.1
  • Fat: 14.2 g
  • Saturated fat: 4.3 g
  • Cholesterol: 15.5 mg
  • Sodium: 3.7 mg
  • Carbohydrates: 26.2 g
  • Fiber: 4.2 g
  • Sugar: 12.2 g
  • Protein: 3 g

2 comments:

  1. This looks really good and would cut the calories a lot, like! Mina

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails