I recently dined at a local Italian restaurant, where I shared a side of delicious sauteed mushrooms. I never thought about mushrooms themselves and a vegetable side dish...they more or less went into other things to flavor them. However, they are quite substantial and deserve more recognition on the plate. So I combined roasted chicken and roasted mushrooms together into one autumn-appropriate dish. I seasoned the chicken with a lemony-rosemary oil to help the skin get crispy. Also, I used the trick of patting the chicken dry before roasting it to ensure a crispy texture. Any juices released from the cooked chicken were mopped up by the roasted mushrooms. This made an elegant dinner and was quite easy to prepare. I even had time to make two more vegetable side dishes: basic roasted butternut squash and my own version of green beans amandine. They made an attractive presentation with the chicken.
Roasted Chicken and Mushrooms with Rosemary and Lemon
4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp minced fresh rosemary
2 tsp fresh lemon zest
12 oz white button or cremini mushroom caps
1 tbsp fresh minced parsley
fresh lemon juice, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Blend the oil, rosemary, and lemon zest, and some salt and pepper in a small bowl.
3. Blot excess moisture from the outside of the chicken pieces with paper towel. Gently loosen the skin and rub all surfaces of the chicken, even under the skin, with the seasoned oil.
4. Arrange the chicken pieces on a foil-lined baking sheet large enough to accommodate the chicken and the mushrooms, which will be added later. Decorate each piece with a little paprika. Place the chicken in the oven for 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, cut the stems of the mushrooms flush with the caps. After 20 minutes, add the mushrooms to the pan, tossing them in the rendered chicken juices and season them with salt and pepper. Arrange them stem-side down and return the pan to the oven for 20-25 minutes. Cook until the chicken is white and opaque and the juices are clear.
6. Serve the chicken and mushrooms sprinkled with parsley, lemon juice, and pan juices.
- Servings per recipe: 4
- Per serving:
- Calories: 233.8
- Fat: 9.9 g
- Saturated fat: 2.1 g
- Cholesterol: 136.1 mg
- Sodium: 181.9 mg
- Carbohydrates: 1.3 g
- Fiber: 0.5 g
- Sugar: 0.7 g
- Protein: 33.4 g