Easy Green Beans with Caramelized Onions

This is my first recipe of many from my Thanksgiving holiday. As I said in my previous post, I tried to make delicious recipes that wouldn't make me feel so stressed that I would want to pull my hair out. This green bean side dish was much easier to prepare than green bean casserole made with the canned soup, and I don't even need to mention its so much better for you than salty green bean casserole with the fried onions, canned green beans and canned soup that has crazy artificial ingredients. This side dish came together easily because I used a little help from my produce section and got ready-trimmed green beans that steam in their own bag. While they were microwaving, I quickly caramelized some onions with orange juice and combined them all together. The onions are really special because they become sweet and wrap around each bean in such a pretty way. It's important to have a lot of onions for this dish---they're more than a garnish. Another great thing about this side dish is, during busy holiday times, it frees up valuable oven space!

Easy Green Beans with Caramelized Onions
Printable Recipe

1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup sliced brown onion (they have a lot of sweetness once cooked), thinly sliced
1 12-oz package ready-to-steam fresh green beans
1 tbsp orange juice
salt, to taste

1. Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
2. Add the onions, season with a pinch of salt, and toss them in the oil. Start the green beans in the microwave according to package directions.
3. When the onions start to become translucent, pour in the orange juice and keep sauteeing until they become very soft and light brown. If the beans finish cooking before the onions are brown, set them aside.
4. Toss the green beans into the caramelized onions and serve immediately.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,