Apple Cinnamon Coconut Flour Muffins

I've been spending a lot of time cooking other people's recipes that I haven't been making any of my own! I am fortunate enough to have a lot of fabulous cookbooks, and I have been enjoying trying new things. For instance, I made Grandma's Easy Pork BBQ from Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint cookbook. I adapted the recipe for the slow cooker...meaning I just thew all the ingredients (not the oil to brown the meat in...didn't bother to brown it) in my crockpot with little care and came home to an awesome dinner. I am going to start preparing more meals like this because on Tuesday and Thursday I have yoga class right after being on campus all day and I want to eat immediately when I get home. I used a 1.5 lb pork sirloin instead of the cuts he suggested because that's what I had on hand. I didn't carefully alter the proportions of ingredients I just kind of winged it. I also added paprika, which was not in the original recipe (I have to have paprika with bbq!). Next time I will add a good amount black pepper, because I think it would be a nice addition. It made an amazing, fast dinner.




Afterwards I decided to catch up on some much-needed apartment tidying up. This week has been really busy for me, but honestly the thing I've been wanting to do most is bake. I seldom bake, and not for the fact that I don't eat grains, but because I make a huge mess. I have tried to train myself to clean as I go, and I am getting better at it. For instance, last night I succumbed to my urge to bake and made some apple cinnamon muffins out of coconut flour. I at least tried to get all the ingredients put away and all the dishes in the sink before the timer went off so I'd have some place to set down the hot pan when I took it out of the stove. I am notorious for stacking things everywhere, then having no place to set my hot pan...which results in me quickly pushing things aside before the heat transfers through my oven mitt. In the process I make an even huger mess...which would probably be funny to watch. But if you were at my place and watching me with a hot pan and not helping me out with it, you're not really my friend anyway! (no baked goods for you!)

I haven't had muffins in so long I kind of took an obsessive number of macro shots...I won't overload you, so I am only posting one.
I have been cooking a lot with coconut flour, only you haven't seen it because the reaction I've given most of the things I've made is "meh." If that's the reaction I have with anything I've made, I don't post it on here. I only post things that I think are worthwhile to make. The only coconut flour creation that hasn't been "meh" has been my Chocolate Coconut Cake. It's taken a lot of experimentation to come up with this muffin recipe. Some coconut flour recipes come out so springy, others have a really fibrous texture. Some recipes crumble and fall apart! With trial and error, I have learned a few things about working with coconut flour. Below are my personal observations, which may differ depending on the climate you are baking in:


-Assuming you aren't cutting the flour with almond meal or other nut meal, the perfect ratio for flour:eggs when you are making approximately 10-12 muffins in 1/2 cup coconut flour to 6 eggs
-Always sift the flour before you use it because any lumps do not work out when you stir the batter...you will get a really crumbly product
-Coconut flour stays freshest when stored in the refrigerator in a sealed container
- Allow all baked goods to cool to room temperature before putting them in a storage container
-Baked goods should stay at room temperature no longer than 24 hours. After that, store them in the refrigerator because they sour easily
-Coconut flour can hold a lot of liquid, so if the batter seems really stiff, don't be afraid to add more liquid. All the coconut fiber soaks up any moisture rather readily


So if you have been working out some coconut flour recipes, I hope these few observations help you. After some practice, I was finally able to make one of my favorite muffin flavors of all time: apple cinnamon. I used a Granny Smith apple because to me it has the strongest "true apple" flavor in baked goods--as in, the flavor doesn't dissipate. I love the little specks of chartreuse peel in the muffins, too. I added both walnuts and pecans for texture. The raisins are for a little extra sweetness, and...why not add them? They were sitting next to the walnuts and pecans, so I just chucked some in. I couldn't believe how moist and how close they mimic traditional apple cinnamon muffins. The texture and flavor are right on...not too fiber-y, heavy, or dry, like some of my previous experiments were! I'm proud to post this recipe because it took a lot of practice to make exactly what I wanted.

My breakfast this morning: muffin with nitrate-free, uncured bacon. It was awesome!


A nice change from my usual breakfast!
Apple Cinnamon Coconut Flour Muffins
Printable Recipe

4 tbsp virgin coconut oil, melted but not hot (plus more, for greasing)
4 tbsp honey
6 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sifted coconut flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 Granny Smith apple, grated with the peel on
1/4 cup chopped nuts (I used approximately equal parts unsalted walnuts and pecans)
2 tbsp raisins

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Blend the coconut oil with the honey. Blend in each egg one at a time, along with the vanilla extract. The coconut oil may curdle, but that's ok.
3. Fold in the coconut flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. It may clump a bit, but just use a wire whisk to whip the mixture about 10 times, or until the batter smooths out.
4. Fold in the apple (including any juice that may have come out), nuts, and raisins.
5. Lightly grease 12 paper muffin cups with coconut oil. Place one into each cup of a 12-cup muffin tin. Divide the batter evenly amongst each cup and smooth over with the back of a spoon.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until a pick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,