Wednesday, February 29, 2012

One-Skillet Pork Chop Dinner with Sauteed Cabbage, Apples, and Onions

The only time I get to exercise is after work, so by the time I come home I am super hungry. I usually have the foresight to put something in the crockpot in the morning, but sometimes I fail at that and end up kicking myself when I come home and have to stare in my fridge as I try to come up with something quick. If I didn't have the foresight to crockpot it, I most certainly did not have it to at least get some meat out of the freezer to thaw, so it's like a double fail. Anyway, one day last week after going to the gym I was sort of lucky because I happened to have just bought some pork chops and had not frozen them yet. My favorite cut of pork is the sirloin, and I like sirloin chops for quick meals. I think sirloin has more flavor than the loin, but I like both depending on what I am preparing. I also like sirloin chops because the bone is still in, and even though it takes longer to cook I think it adds flavor to the pan juices. So, for my fast dinner I only wanted to use one pan because I dislike doing dishes. I seasoned up the pork chops and got them cooking, and while that was happening I chopped cabbage, apples, and onions. I think they all go well with pork, plus sauteed cabbage is one of my new favorite side dishes.. This was a fast meal and I was able to take the other half for lunch the next day. Admittedly, I couldn't eat as much for lunch as I did for dinner, so this can serve 2-4 people depending on their appetites. This is hardly a recipe because I didn't measure my spices...I just covered the surface of the meat evenly. Therefore the sodium level in this recipe is going to be a bit variable on account of the rough estimate of steak seasoning. Sorry about that....I was too hungry to measure, but it's a good recipe nonetheless!



One-Skillet Pork Chop Dinner with Sauteed Cabbage, Apples, and Onions
Printable Recipe

2 tsp rendered bacon fat from nitrate-free bacon
1 lb bone-in sirloin chops, about 3/4" thick (2-4 chops)
crushed sage
dried minced onion
steak seasoning
paprika
black pepper
1/3 small cabbage, shredded
1 medium tart apple, peeled and thinly sliced
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup water

1. In a large lidded skillet, heat the fat over medium heat.
2. Season both sides of the chops evenly with the sage, steak seasoning, paprika, and black pepper. Sear the meat on both sides.
3. When the meat is flipped to the second side to brown, sprinkle the cabbage, apple, and onion evenly over the top. Add the water, cover with the lid, and cook until the meat is cooked through and the apples and vegetables are tender.
4. Remove the chops to a plate to rest, then stir-fry the apples and vegetables until the cabbage is lightly golden, the onions are translucent, the apples are soft, and all the water is evaporated. Serve immediately, with a whole chop or slices of a pork chop.

  • Servings per recipe: 2-4
  • For 1/4 of this recipe:
  • Calories: 339.9
  • Fat: 19.5 g
  • Saturated fat: 7.2 g
  • Cholesterol: 95 mg
  • Sodium: 115.4 mg
  • Carbohydrates: 10.3 g
  • Fiber: 2.7 g
  • Sugar: 3.5 g
  • Protein: 29.9 g

2 comments:

  1. This is definitely going on the shopping list this week, I love sauteed cabbage and the combination w/the apples look great! Mina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pork chops cost $1.11 for a whole lb, then 1 apple, a whole small cabbage, and a small onion maybe cost ~$1.50....so you could make this meal for about $2/person. It's good and inexpensive!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails