Snack Time!

Lately I've been trying to come up with some new snacks to take with myself on campus and anywhere else I need to be. I typically always have one snack with me no matter where I go, whether it's in my backpack or purse. It's such a bummer when I get stuck on campus with nothing remotely healthy to eat, because then I have to go to the student union and read the packages of nuts and/or dried fruit carefully and hope I make an ok choice. I've been stocking up on easily portable stuff...some unique things I can't get at my local health food store. I've also been trying to incorporate some new snacks and bringing back some old favorites. Here's what I've been snacking on lately:

Last weekend my friends and I drove to Austin, Tx to see Wicked, which was awesome! For the trip, I packed, apples, bananas, clementines, raisins, and mixed unsalted nuts. For the first leg of the journey I packed a yogurt parfait thing. I still eat yogurt on occasion because it doesn't bother my digestion. This is full-fat Voskos Greek yogurt mixed with the non-fat. The non-fat has a lot more protein, perhaps because the fat has been removed, so I just mix the two to get the best of both worlds. I mixed the yogurt with blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries, sliced almonds, ground flax seeds, and a little honey. It made a good mid-morning snack that wasn't too heavy on my stomach as we were traveling.


Wicked! It was such a great show! I would love to travel back to Austin sometime.

One night after a workout I indulged myself the other night by making ants on a log, a childhood favorite. It's celery with crunchy almond butter and raisins. This hits the spot if you are craving pb and j because for me the bread (or celery, in this case) is just a carrier for the yummy goodness inside!


Finally, I made some purchases from two websites. One is Sophia's Survival Food Grass-Fed Jerky Chews*, which, in my opinion, has reasonably-priced grass-fed jerky. I haven't had any jerky since starting Paleo, and I have been wanting to incorporate it into my diet because I want more protein-based snacks. I got two packages of each of three flavors: original, lemon, and mild. I got the lemon and original in 2 1-oz packages and 2 2-oz packages of the mild. I thought I would like the mild most, but I wanted to give the other flavors a chance. All are good, and I was pleased that the lemon flavor was not too overpowering. These made a great snack while I was studying at a coffee shop this weekend, and honestly the cost of the jerky was about the same as the cost of a piece of cake. Of course the jerky was better for me, and even though 1 oz does not seem like a lot of food, with the raisins and half a pack of jerky I was quite satisfied; I didn't eat the mixed nuts this time. For me, a snack is just to tie me over, so I try not to stuff myself!


Mild flavor

Original flavor

Original flavor with lemon

The little snack pack I made for myself with jerky, nuts, and raisins


My final purchase was a huge one from nuts.com*, which has a great array of gluten-free snacks and no sugar added dried fruit. I got two of my favorite dried fruits without sugar, banana chips and dried pineapple. The dried pineapple also did not have added sulfur dioxide, which I thought was good. I was pleased with their reasonably-priced coconut flour, and I got the small no sugar added coconut flakes that I can't find where I live (I can only find the big shreds). I also got something novel, sun dried red bell peppers, which I suspect would be great in a meatloaf! All of these bags are a pound, so they will last a long time. In the half pound bags are energy squares, which are sort of like Larabars, just in cubes with a lot of interesting ingredients like chia seeds and goji berries. Luckily the ingredients are listed for those so it's easy to find the gluten-free, soy-free versions. In the round container are no sugar added apple chips, which are delicious! I think they are my favorite of everything I have tasted so far, mainly because they are crunchy! The small bags are the samples, which only cost $2.50 each. I was nervous getting these because I thought they wouldn't be worth the price and quite tiny, but each portion is surprisingly generous! They even threw a free sample of quinoa in with my order. I don't normally eat quinoa, but since it is a pseudo-cereal seed more closely related to beets than grains and is gluten-free, I think it would be nice to try it out. It will be a treat that I earn after a tough workout. I appreciate that they added it to my order! I'm really pleased with this huge order and I can't wait to experiment with the peppers and coconut flour! These are going to be great snacks to keep in my office, too!

Everything I got

Organic Raw Cacao Goji Energy Squares. A change from my usual Larabars.

Sample bags: (top L to R) pistachios, macadamias, cacao energy squares, goji berries. (bottom L to R) quinoa, cacao nibs, chia seeds

(L to R) banana chips, coconut flakes, sun-dried peppers, dried pineapple, coconut flour

Center: apple chips. On either side are the energy squares

Their little logos are so cute!

I hope this review helps you by livening up your snack choices!

*These are my personal opinions. I am not sponsored by any of these companies.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,