Thursday, March 15, 2012

Honey-Lemon Glazed Pork Tenderloin Medallions

It's spring break now, and I have increased my amount of cooking a lot. I am also trying to catch up on work in between. So far I have made two recipes from the Food Lover's Primal Palate Make it Paleo cookbook, their pancakes and banana bread. The pancakes were awesome! They weren't heavy at all. I made banana nut maple syrup to go with them. I had a sliced, frozen banana in the freezer, so I combined it on the stove with 2 tbsp pure maple syrup, a tablespoon each of chopped pecans and walnuts, and simmered them together until the bananas became pulpy. I then finished the sauce with a tablespoon of butter melted into it. It was really good with the pancakes (even better with some good bacon!).




I also made their banana bread from another banana I had frozen. Frozen bananas work really well for banana bread because the freezing process seems to enhance their flavor. I also added half a cup of chopped pecans from some of the nuts I collected from the pecan trees around my apartment complex...I felt very hunter-and-gather-y about that. The texture of the bread was much better than my first attempt at making coconut flour bread. I could even toast the slices! The only thing I would like to improve on---and this is a personal preference thing I think---is adding more banana to give it a stronger flavor. My old banana bread recipe had 3-4 bananas in it, so I have a certain expectation on the flavor. Next time I will add 2 bananas (a cup's worth) to double the amount, and I might take out the dates and maple syrup because a second banana might add enough sweetness to make up for it.

Also I had the time to try some recipes I had been thinking of, like this one for pieces of pork tenderloin coated in a glaze made of honey and lemon. When I was a kid, one of my first recipes involved melting butter, lemon, and honey with salt and pepper in the microwave and putting it on chicken. It was a pretty good recipe for a little kid to come up with! I haven't had it in years, but I recently bought 5 lemons for $1 so I have plenty of them on hand to make such a recipe. I used pork tenderloin cut across the grain into medallions (some of which I cut down further to make two-bite pieces) and glazed them with garlicky butter, honey, and lemon. I think the butter is what actually makes this recipe even better because it creates a subtle creamy flavor in the glaze.This was such a good dinner, with some steamed broccoli. I had been running around all day looking for supplies for my upcoming second field season, so I was super hungry by the time this was ready. Admittedly, I ate about two portions of meat...I relished every bite, too!



Honey-Lemon Glazed Pork Tenderloin Medallions
Printable Recipe

1 1-lb pork tenderloin, cut across the grain into rounds or large chunks
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 clove garlic, grated or minced
1/2 tbsp honey
juice of half a lemon
salt and pepper, to taste

1. Heat a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
2. Season the meat with salt and lots of pepper.
3. Heat the oil and butter in the skillet until the butter melts, then add the seasoned pork pieces. Brown on the first side, then flip and brown on the second side.
4. When the pork is about 90% done, add the garlic into the bottom of the pan and cook until fragrant, tossing the meat with the garlic, about 2 min.
5. Add the honey and lemon juice. Toss the pork in the honey and lemon, and cook until the juice is nearly evaporated and a thick sauce glosses the meat.
  • Servings per recipe: 4
  • Per serving:
  • Calories: 209.5
  • Fat: 10.1 g
  • Saturated fat: 2.9 g
  • Cholesterol: 71.1 mg
  • Sodium: 86.1 mg
  • Carbohydrate: 3 g
  • Fiber: 0.1 g
  • Sugar: 2.3 g
  • Protein: 25.1 g

1 comment:

  1. OK, it is 6:45 AM and I am at work already looking at this fabulous food and starving!! Both of these recipes look fantastic, and yes printing the pork medallion recipe for this weeks menu! Great job! Mina

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails