Roasted Chicken Seasoning


I love using spice mixes on busy weeknights because they preclude my need to pull out a whole bunch of different spice jars that I will inevitably have to put away. I use one mixture and I quickly have some well-seasoned food. Another plus is, the less fussing I do to prepare my food, the sooner I can eat! But, because spice mixes from the store can sometimes have obscure, less-than-natural ingredients I have decided I would try my hand at making my own spice mixes. They're easy to do and you can let your imagination run wild. The first mix I put together was inspired by the pre-seasoned chicken at my grocery store, which is sort of herbal but at the same time tastes a little like Creole or Cajun seasoning. The seasoning is has a great flavor, but the ingredients aren't listed, so there is potentially dextrose, MSG, anti-caking agents, or who knows what else. For the following mixture of spices I tried to combine a Cajun spice flavor with my favorite herbs to roast chicken with. Even though the seasoned chicken from my local grocery store was the primary source of inspiration for this spice mix, I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work for other meat.

I will post the meal I prepared from this spice soon!

Roasted Chicken Seasoning
Printable Recipe

2 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp dried parsley
1 tbsp dried crushed rosemary
1 tbsp dried marjoram
1 tbsp dried onion flakes
1 tbsp coarse kosher salt
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tbsp crushed dried sage
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1/8 tsp white pepper
cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)

1. Blend all the ingredients in a small bowl or storage container. Store as long as the spices remain fragrant, perhaps up to a year depending on the time you purchased the individual spices.

Labels: , , , , ,