Spice-Rubbed Roasted Turkey Legs



I'm one day closer to spring break, so all I can think about is relaxing. There's no break in sight for me until Saturday, especially because a few weeks ago I signed myself up for a SAS (a statistical software) short course at the library, which is tonight. Just when I want a break, I gave myself some extra work. I'm sure it will be a valuable experience and I will thank myself for going when I start working on my dissertation!

Makes me wanna say "yabba dabba doo!" a la Fred Flintstone

Last weekend I was already in spring break mode and I lounged on the couch while the oven did most of the work for me roasting some turkey legs for dinner. This recipe is so easy and so tasty...I succumbed to my inner cavegirl while eating the meat right off the bones. Eating a turkey leg has got to be one of the most gratifying eating experiences because they're messy but fun to eat. I dry rubbed the turkey legs with a zesty spice mixture I concocted. I let the rub sit on the meat for 2 days while they were in the refrigerator, so they really soaked up the flavors. I did a little experimentation with this spice mixture by adding some spices I have never bought before and/or are commonly neglected by me, such as ground mustard and white pepper. These turkey legs were both subtly spicy and smoky. The best part was the crispy, crackling skin! The meat was moist and tender, too. They were the perfect dinner to eat with leftover marinated baby cucumber salad while slouching on the couch Friday night. (yes, that means I stayed in Friday night...I'm a grad student, ergo I'm too friggin tired to hit the town on Friday night...I also was in bed by 9:45 on said Friday night and I'd like to think that is responsible, not lame)



Spice-Rubbed Roasted Turkey Legs
Printable Recipes

1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp white pepper
2 lbs bone-in, skin-on turkey legs (should be 3 or 4 legs)

1. Blend all the spices together. Gently lift the skin of the turkey legs and sprinkle a few pinches of spices underneath the skin. Then place the legs in a gallon-sized bag and sprinkle in the remaining spices. Massage the spices into the legs. Allow the dry rub to sit on the turkey legs at least overnight or up to 48 hours before cooking.


2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
3. Line a baking tray with foil for easy cleanup. Remove the turkey legs from the bag and gently pat them with paper towel to wick away any beads of moisture, which will prevent the skin from browning.
4. Place the turkey legs on the tray. Bake 1-1 1/2 hours, or until the meat is opaque and the juices run clear, turning at least once, being sure to lift the meat carefully so the skin does not pull away. Rest 5 min before serving.

Labels: , , , , ,