Monday, April 30, 2012

Creamy Balsamic Vinaigrette


The other day I had a massive craving for ranch dressing, but because most commercial ranch dressing is made with poor-quality oils, like soybean oil, I stopped buying it a long time ago. As a substitute, I made a balsamic dressing, but it was almost a thin mayonnaise. To make the dressing creamy, I simply used a fresh egg, just as I would for mayonnaise, and whipped the dressing with  my immersion blender. It turned out to be a nice, rich dressing!

I poured this over a big salad of baby field greens, broccoli florets and shredded stems, grated carrots, a little purple cabbage, grape tomatoes, and some avocado. I also had a turkey burger with this. You can see the the veggie:protein ratio of my usual meals. My goal is to have a preponderance of vegetables, with a much smaller serving of protein...unless we're talking about barbeque, then I turn into a total cave girl :)

Creamy Balsamic Vinaigrette
Printable Recipe

1 very fresh large egg, preferably free-range, at room temperature*
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
1/2 tsp honey
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste

1. Combine the egg, vinegar, mustard, honey, garlic, and some salt and pepper in a bowl, if you want to make the dressing by hand. You can also use a blender, food processor, or immersion blender. Just choose something that will allow you the ability to slowly stream the oil into the container. Pulse these first few ingredients together to combine.
2. Slowly, while mixing, start streaming in the oil. It should take several minutes to add the oil in. Blend until fully emulsified and creamy. Serve with any of your favorite salads. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days for best results.

*Though the vinegar denatures the protein of the egg and essentially "cooks" the egg, to avoid any food-borne illness it is important to use a fresh egg that has been stored properly. It is best to use a clean grade A or AA eggs and to avoid contact of the yolk and egg white with the outside part of the shell.


  • Servings per recipe: 10
  • Per serving:
  • Calories: 106
  • Fat: 11.3 g
  • Saturated fat: 1.6 g
  • Cholesterol: 18.5 mg
  • Sodium: 30.1
  • Carbohydrate2: 0.8 g
  • Fiber: 0 g
  • Sugar: 0.1 g
  • Protein: 0.6 g

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love salads, and ranch dressing is one of my favorites but it is hard to find a "healthy" variety, I would love to try this alternative to this not so healthy dressing! Mina

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails