Sunday, April 29, 2012

Kale and Sausage Hash, Two Ways


One of my latest goals has been to eat more vegetables at breakfast. It's easy for me to grab an apple in the morning to go with my breakfast, but I would like to add more variety than that. Plus green leafy vegetables have a higher nutrient content. Therefore I used the technique of prepping an easy dish ahead of time early last week and ate it two different ways in order to make veggies easy to include in the morning. I made a two ingredient hash and used it in a scramble and also simply topped it with over easy eggs. This really did make breakfast prep easy! Here is the recipe for the hash, along with two different serving suggestions.


Kale and Sausage Hash
Printable Recipe

1 lb nitrate-free bulk sausage, I used pork but you can use any you prefer
1 bunch of kale, cleaned, tough stems removed, and leaves torn into bite-sized pieces

1. Cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat until opaque. If the sausage is very greasy, you can drain the excess grease. Mine was lean, so I didn't have to do this step.
2. Add the kale to the skillet and cook, stirring until the kale is wilted and the sausage has browned slightly.

Kale and Sausage Scramble

For one serving, scoop a quarter of the sausage-kale mixture into a small skillet. If you are using the hash cold from the refrigerator, warm it over medium heat. In a small bowl, beat 2 free-range eggs together. Add the eggs to the warmed sausage-kale mixture and scramble until the eggs are cooked through. Serve.

I had this with a small banana topped with sunflower seed butter. I had spent the morning taking soil samples in the vineyard so I needed a big breakfast!

Kale and Sausage Hash with Over Easy Eggs

For one serving, heat a quarter of the sausage-kale mixture in a small skillet. Heat another medium skillet over medium-low heat and add about a tbsp of your favorite cooking oil. I like reserved bacon grease from nitrite-free bacon. Once the oil is warm, gently add two eggs and cook a couple minutes on one side, then gently flip and cook another couple of minutes. Serve the eggs on top of the hash. You can also use poached or regular fried eggs, however over easy are my favorite.


I had this with sliced tomatoes and also some sliced strawberries, which are not pictured.
What a great bite...


2 comments:

  1. This looks real good, have never thought of using kale in a hash, but willing to give it a try!! Mina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made this without the eggs the first time I made it. It's really good plain, too. For breakfast, the eggs seem like a natural addition.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails