Friday, April 27, 2012

Sweet and Savory Pork Loin with Pears and Onions


This is the pork recipe I was making the other day when I had my kitchen mishap where I broke one of my spice jars. Despite my rough morning, at least this recipe turned out well! I was inspired to make this simply because I had a pork loin in the freezer that I needed to use and also pears were on sale recently and I had a few extra that needed to be used up. Pork and fruit marry well together, so I combined them to make a slow cooker recipe. Because of my recent interest in spice mixes, I went to the Penzeys website and found two spice mixes, their Krakow Nights (Polish sausage seasoning) and Tsardust Memories (Russian sausage seasoning), that I thought would taste nice with the pear and pork combination. Just from their list of ingredients, I mixed together a spice blend based on both the sausage seasonings. The mixture is both herbal and spicy and was apparent even after hours of cooking. I have observed that slow cooked foods can become bland if I use my usual amount of seasoning if I were to cook the same recipe on the stove, therefore I purposefully over-season slow-cooked foods. This spice blend would be nice in homemade sausage, I think. The pears break down and create a spiced sauce, which goes excellently with pork.


Sweet and Savory Pork Loin with Pears and Onions
Printable Recipe

1 2-lb pork loin
1 tsp ground sage
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp white pepper
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 medium onion, sliced
2 pears, peeled, cored, and sliced (I used bosc, but use any pear that is relatively firm)
1/4 cup water or chicken broth
1 bay leaf
salt, to taste

1. Pat the surface of the pork loin dry with paper towels. Blend the sage, marjoram, garlic, paprika, cinnamon, nutmeg, white and black peppers, and salt, to taste, in a small bowl. Rub the spices all over the pork.
2. Place the onion, pears, broth or water, and bay leaf in the bottom of the crockpot slow cooker. Place the pork on top. Cook 6-8 hrs on high or 8-10 hrs on low.



























  • Servings per recipe: 6
  • Per serving:
  • Calories: 281
  • Fat: 8.4 g
  • Saturated fat: 2.9 g
  • Cholesterol: 67.2 mg
  • Sodium: 444.8 mg
  • Carbohydrate: 28.2 g
  • Fiber: 4.6 g
  • Sugars: 5.7 g
  • Protein: 24.5 g

4 comments:

  1. Love the sound of this recipe. Spices and a slow cooker. I agree that slow cookers can have a tendancy to overblend the flavors but that can work in your favor. Plus you can't beat the tenderness of the meat!

    Check out My Spice Sage as well for blends. They are an online merchant and have excellent spices and prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the tenderness and melding of flavors makes the slow cooker worthwhile. Adding more spices helps maintain some of their individual properties to the end.

      I have not heard of My Spice Sage. I will have to check it out. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  2. I am so hungry I could eat this whole roast~look fabulous!! Mina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was eating this I was super hungry and I thought I could eat it all, but I didn't succeed!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails