Tropical Mango-Orange Vinaigrette

 
I let my fruit and vegetable basket inspire me when I made my dinner the other night. It was full of pretty colors and I wanted my salad for dinner to look just as tropical! I also had in mind, based on a comment from the Chow Bella Facebook page, to make a veg-friendly recipe. So, I made a dairy-free dressing to jazz up your summer salads.
  
I took a big deviation from my usual balsamic vinaigrette and used one of my favorite fruits, a champagne, or yellow, mango. They're smaller than the usual red mangoes you get at the store, and are more tart, which is perfect for a vinaigrette. I pureed the mango with fresh orange juice and added some more savory flavor with scallion and cilantro for a cream-less creamy dressing. This would be perfect for those who don't like strongly acidic vinaigrettes or for those who want a change from their usual creamy dressings. This reminded me of a tropical version of honey Dijon dressing.

 
My salad consisted of mixed baby greens, shredded carrots, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, more mango, and avocado. I also had the leftovers (which tasted even better...the orange flavor became stronger as it sat in the refrigerator) on a plain salad too and it was also good!



This dressing is thick and creamy enough to be served as a unique dairy-free dip with crudites! This dressing is mild enough that maybe (hopefully) kids would enjoy it too!


Tropical Mango-Orange Vinaigrette
Printable Recipe

1 champagne (yellow) mango, peeled and diced
the juice of 1 large orange
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 scallion, green portion only, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste

1. Using a blender, food processor, or immersion blender with a tall bowl, puree the mango with the orange juice and vinegar until smooth.
2. While blending, slowly pour in the oil. Pulse in the cilantro and scallion along with some salt and pepper. Serve over your favorite salad.



Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,