My Favorite Homemade Mayonnaise



Making a batch of homemade mayo is becoming a weekly habit because it's so versatile. It's also a lot tastier than the store-bought stuff. You can dress a salad with it, use it in a dip, fish cakes, or just slather it on anything that need a bit more flavor! It's a great way to add a creamy texture if you are avoiding dairy. I've tinkered with this recipe a lot and make several variations, but this one is my standard recipe. This one is good for dressing because while it's thick, it's also smooth enough to break up when you toss it on salads. I used it in one of my recent recipes. Here is one of the many ways to make great mayo:

My Favorite Homemade Mayonnaise
Printable Recipe

1 large egg, preferably from free-range chickens, at room temperature (I like to wash the outside with warm water)
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp mustard (I use anything from Dijon to spicy brown, use whatever you like)
big dash of each white pepper and cayenne pepper
pinch of salt
1 cup light tasting pure olive oil

1. Crack the egg into the pitcher of a blender or the bowl that comes with your immersion blender. Or you can go the Julia Child route and use a bowl. Add the vinegar, mustard, peppers, and salt. Start whipping them together with a wire whisk if you are using the bowl method, or just turn your machines on.
2. Slowly begin trickling the oil in. I know the oil is going in too fast if it pools on the surface of the mixture. Begin with trickling drops, then as you add half a slow stream, then by the time three-quarters is emulsified, you can add a bit thicker of a stream. I always use my immersion blender, and to make sure I have an even emulsion, I move the blender portion up and down the cup to pull the mixture from the top to the bottom.

Servings vary widely depending on how much air you whip in, so I feel a nutritional breakdown isn't effective for this one.

Labels: , , , , , , ,