Saturday, June 9, 2012

Turkey Breakfast Sausage

To make my Whole 30 breakfasts more interesting (and because I'm having trouble finding nitrate-free bacon that does not have added sugar) I made my own turkey breakfast sausage this morning. The last time I made sausage I used my meat grinder, but this recipe is a little easier because I used store-bought ground meat. You could easily substitute any other ground meat for this recipe. This recipe is based off my Sage Breakfast Sausage recipe, however I made a few changes in the proportions of the herbs and spices to go nicely with the turkey. I at first used the same proportions from the pork sausage recipe, but after mixing the batch and cooking a small piece for a taste test, I decided the flavors were not quite strong enough and so I tinkered with the proportions until the turkey tasted like sausage, not just a nicely-seasoned turkey burger. The allspice, nutmeg, and cloves, though traditionally in baked goods, add a nice spicy kick to the sausage.



Turkey Breakfast Sausage
Printable Recipe

1 lb dark meat ground turkey (93% lean), preferably from free-roaming or game turkeys
1 tsp rubbed sage
3/4 tsp dried minced onion
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
scant 1/2 tsp coarse kosher salt
1 pinch whole fennel seeds
1 pinch red pepper flakes (or more, to taste)
1 dash ground allspice
1 dash ground white pepper
1 dash ground nutmeg
1 dash ground cloves

1. Place the meat into a medium bowl and mix in all the spices.
2. At this point, you can immediately cook the sausage or store in a plastic container in the freezer to cook over the next couple of days.
  • Servings per recipe:4
  • Per serving:
  • Calories: 162.6
  • Fat: 8.1 g
  • Saturated fat: 2.5 g
  • Cholesterol: 80.0 mg
  • Sodium: 350.9 mg
  • Carbohydrate: 0.9 g
  • Fiber: 0.3 g
  • Sugars: 0 g
  • Protein: 22.1 g

1 comment:

  1. This is a topic which is close to my heart... Thank you!

    Exactly where are your contact details though?
    My webpage :: last minute all inclusive turkije

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails