Monday, June 18, 2012

Whole 30 Day 12

Today I had a really simple breakfast...just three scrambled eggs and some strawberries. I had to be out in the field again today, and it was going to be a hot day so I didn't want a lot to eat. I had some black coffee, too.



I had to go to my research site out of town today, so I packed a bunch of food in the cooler. I didn't eat it all....I just wanted to take plenty because I would be away from town. I ended up having one cold mini hamburger, the rest of my tomato and cucumber salad, and about ten cherries (I added the cherries and salad to my cooler at the last minute). It was just too hot to eat! I had nearly half a gallon of water, too.


I got home and had a really big lunch...or a lunch/dinner hybrid (lupper? linner?) I had the last of my iceberg lettuce with some avocado, creamy dressing, and pico de gallo on top. The pico tasted really good with the dressing! Sort of like salsa ranch! I had four mini burgers with a sliced roma tomato, some pickle, mustard, and some homemade mayo. I had a big handful of cherries afterward for dessert. During the rest of the day I drank about another quarter gallon of water; I get really thirsty on days where I work outside.

 

I wasn't hungry for a proper dinner, so I made a comforting snack: ants on a log. I was craving almond butter, and the one I used I got freshly ground, so it's just almonds. I used two big stalks of celery and topped each piece with a generous amount of almond butter and a few golden raisins. It's one of my favorite snacks! I haven't had hardly any dried fruit this Whole 30...only the six dates that went into the applesauce I made. This is the first time in 12 days I've had dried fruit. I'm so used to Paleo eating that a little dried fruit doesn't make me crave sweets. I don't have a sweet tooth....more of a savory tooth. I crave things like chips, fries, and cheese! Or, I want something salty and sweet....but fruity candies and cheap chocolate don't do it for me.


I just want to further discuss something I mentioned on my Whole 30 Day 2 post, referring to metabolic fructose. I tried to make an Excel spreadsheet from the website I provided on that post, but it didn't work. However, I found another website with the same information and was able to copy it to a spreadsheet so I could sort the lowest values. I turned it into a Google Site page so you all could access it. To me, the breakdown of macromolecules in the body through digestion is really interesting (probably on of the many reasons why I pursued biology!). Consequently, I've recently seen a small article in Shape magazine talk something about this. I don't usually put much stock in health magazine articles, but they had a nice infographic. While they look at sucrose as a form of extra calories they don't regard the fact that sucrose is a disaccharide that breaks down to the monosaccharides glucose and fructose. However, I think it's useful to know how much sucrose is in each fruit. Over the weekend I saw two more articles on fructose: one from Everyday Paleo and one from Chris Kresser.  Apparently this is a hot topic! I think fruits are a great source of fiber and nutrients of course, but I still think low fructose fruits are the best if weight loss is your goal. I'm inclined to think that humans are well-adapted to processing whole fruit, but issues arise when you have fructose-laden sodas or juices devoid of fiber.

I'm going to quote my biology of plants professor and say "there are no vegetables in botany." Truthfully, tomatoes, peppers, and even squash are technically "fruit" because they derive from the tissues of a flower. For some reason more savory fruits along with leaves and other plant structures have been classified as vegetables. Therefore eating the low fructose fruits and a high "vegetable" diet, you eliminate a lot of fructose anyway but are still eating quite a bit of fruit if you include tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini etc. The reason why I highlight fructose in particular is because some people are fructose intolerant, excess fructose can tax the liver, and also because of the pathway of fructose breakdown I described in the earlier post I linked to. As I said before, some studies indicate that excess fructose consumption can lead to insulin resistance and metabolic issues. I have been reading The Carbohydrate Addicts Diet book, not because I'm switching diets or because it was only $0.50 at Goodwill, but because I'm truly interested in nutrition. The authors say that instead of seeing weight gain as the origin of a lot of health problems like high blood pressure and diabetes, rather weight gain, along with those other diseases is in itself a symptom of insulin issues. I think that's a pretty interesting idea!

Now that our science moment is over, another thing I've realized is that my energy levels are low if I don't have protein and/or fat with a meal. If I can't have meat, then I need to have fat. I was eating cheese before to supply fat, but now that I can't have it for Whole 30, I have to try and add coconut, avocado, eggs, and olive oil. I miss cheese a lot...I keep thinking about goat cheese and Parmesan and Kerrygold cheddar cheese.

I'm looking forward to weighing/measuring/taking "after" pics already...I'm usually not the one to notice changes in my body, but I do see some changes now, which is a big deal for me! I feel slimmer and my skin is looking better than ever!

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting post as well as the food looking phenomenal. Why is it I always look at this first thing in the morning when I am starving! Hmmmm! Mina

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails